The Ideal TrainerRoad Setup. No budget restrictions

For trainers, any of Tacx Neo 2T, Kickr or Elite Justo.

For device - whatever your preference from phone to tablet to laptop.

Fans will help with cooling allowing for better training.

The trainers power readings should are all close enough to a high end power meter that you don’t need to use the same on indoor and outdoor set up.

I wouldn’t get a rocker plate out of the gate.

If you have two bikes, use one on the trainer.

Everything else is just convenience.

My Lotto setup:

Oh, and a couple of these for the fans, so I can control them with “Hey, Siri …” I’ve got this set up now and it’s nice as hell.

*Alternatively: A Tacx Neo and a new Factor Ostro VAM to put on it.

1 Like

-Dedicated A/C and heater that can quickly drop/maintain room temp in the 60’s (F) without having to turn the entire house into a meat locker.
-Multiple high powered fans
-Big screen TV
-Surround sound audio
-Dedicated computer if running zwift, etc.
-Smart rollers and/or smart trainer
-Rubberized flooring
-Fridge
-Table that can be reached for fueling/hydration/whatever is needed without dismounting
-Double up all equipment/systems if you have a spouse who trains or if you want some dueling trainers for other reasons (nothing more fun at a party than an e-wang measuring contest or zwift race after a few drinks).

1 Like

Is this a thing, do others do this? Sounds very interesting and a good way to stop me from overfocusing on the precision aspect of training rides.

Mine starts with a dedicated bike shed where I keep my steeds, tools, a small gym portion and a trainer setup. It’ll have an AC and several big, industrial fans. It is detached so that I don’t have to worry about my family or neighbors waking up when I hop on the trainer at 5 am.

I’d probably opt for Wahoo’s training bike and customize the touch points. No chain that needs to be lubed, no cassette and chainring that needs replacing, no maintenance, period. It can also simulate gradients. Otherwise, I’d get a trainer and a dedicated training bike, probably a used aluminum frame with an 11-speed or 12-speed 1x setup.

I’d probably default to using an iPad, but might consider adding a TV and definitely a sound system.

I’d have plenty of snacks, fresh towels, a small fridge to keep my bottles and snacks cold, etc.

Yes it works great. TrainingPeaks let you specify a range, for example

and that 180-215W target shows up on my Garmin. This is an example of default workout screen, from a different workout:

Default Workout Comparison Tempo

That display really helped me develop smoother, more consistent power even over undulating terrain (inside RGT/Zwift, or outside).

2 Likes

Thank you all for the valuable input! I think Im going to go with the Kickr Bike, looks amazing and it comes from a brand with a solid reputation and years developing trainers. Plus I can adjust it to match my race bike geo and measurements.

TR should make or co-brand your own hardware, leaving a lof of money on the table here @Nate_Pearson :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Kidding aside, I would totally go with whatever TR would recomend or endorse, the credibility is there. I know I am not the first to tell you guys this either. Thanks again!

1 Like

Thanks! Taking a serious look at that Wahoo bike!

1 Like

That Kickr Bike seems like a great choice! Thank you!

1 Like

having that kind of range display is why i still use zwift instead of trainerroad for structured workouts. the zwift companion app displays target zones on a “speedometer” with a range. makes it super easy and brainless to stay on target on my non-smart trainer. i’m still hoping TR adds something similar someday.

1 Like

:+1: yes, and I went for reducing cognitive load by having the same display inside and outside.

1 Like