Tarmac SL7 S-Works vs Canyon Ultimate CFR

And weight! :sunglasses:

1 Like

And Aero! :smile:

Here are the Numbers:
Ultimate CF SLX 9 Di2: 222 Watt
SWORKS SL 7: 210 Watt
Aeroad CFR: 202 Watt

Numbers were measured in the wind tunnel with moving leg dummy holding 45km/h.

(Simplon Pride 2 is 199 Watt)

5 Likes

Thanks for the report!. I think the only thing left for me to pull the trigger is to consider the upcoming SL8….given that, realistically, I won’t be really enjoying this new bike until next summer.

Value :point_right:t3: Ultimate CFR
Weight :point_right:t3: Ultimate CFR
Handling :question::question::question:
Aero :point_right:t3: SL7 S-works
Resell Price :point_right:t3: SL7 S-works

This is cool…where did you find these numbers?

Can i throw in a late vote for the Aeroad? Most aero of the 3 (according to @Amnesty and Tour anyway!), better value than the SL7, not much heavier than the Ultimate. I own the previous rim brake version and it handles and descends fantastically, while still being compliant enough for long rides. Multiple centuries done on it with no comfort issues including a 160 mile ride on far from perfect roads. Disc brake version with more clearance to run wider tires (I run 25mm) can only help in that regard.

2 Likes

Thanks!. Is worth looking into. Im just focused on the fact that most of my rides are climbing, at least 1000ft per every 10mile. Perhaps there’s more (frame stiffness, etc) to a climbing bike than just weight?.

I see lots of talk about an SL8 in 2023. Is there actual proof of this, or just what people are hoping?

I’m not sure I’d weigh that into my decision making without a reputable source confirming SL8 in 2023.

2 Likes

Just some more interesting numbers from the Tour magazine:

On a 100km ride with 2000m of climbing and a system weight of 85kg: if you compare two bikes, bike 1 is 5,5% more aero, then bike 2 needs to be 1,41kg lighter to be equally fast.

1 Like

Even going uphill aero still counts for something until you get to pretty steep gradients and slow speeds. On the really steep stuff I think weight is the main metric that matters (at least assuming that the bike fits well and is stiff enough for good power transfer and no tire rub, and that should be the case for all these bikes). But the Aeroad CFR frameset only weights 180g more than the Ultimate CFR frame (according to the Canyon website) and is £450 cheaper where I am. So we’re talking very marginal differences (especially if that saving went towards a lighter wheel set - though I suspect the Aeroad full build bikes come with wheels that are deeper and heavier than the equivalent Ultimate build).

1 Like

A very interesting analysis! I’m assuming that this is for a solo ride? On a rolling course where one doesn’t have to brake, this is accurate I’m sure. A lot of us do extended climbs, with descents where we have to brake frequently, negating the benefit of the aero bike for that part. My guess is that most of the benefit from the aero bike is on the higher speed parts of the course. Additionally, on the group ride side of things, we are often in a group on the flats and going slow or solo on the climbs. My guess is that there is still a benefit from an aero bike in a group, but that it’s less pronounced.

Depending on the type of riding we do, the analysis can be more complex, though I wouldn’t be surprised if the aero bike is still faster.

Now if you’re WVA, and you’re on the front all day no matter the terrain, it’s aero bike all day long.

Good Point. Speculation is based on previous update cycles.

Ultimate is about 0.5kg lighter at most. :thinking:

Canyon wont even let you change cockpit lengths on their integrated bikes, and don’t have alternatives in stock. Also the aeroad seatpost design is a joke. I don’t know how anyone can take canyon seriously as a company if they’re selling racing bikes with fixed cockpit lengths, let alone actually consider one of their bikes over an SL7 which is objectively faster [than anything but the aeroad] and easier to work on. Also even if you can get a cockpit you can’t get 36cm bars so basically any reasonable bike with narrow bars can wipe out the aeroad’s aero advantage - do this to an SL7 and it’s a faster bike than any aeroad.

Last thing unless the “climbing” bike is multiple KG lighter it’s still going to be slower therefore it’s dumb. There’s literally nothing special about the ultimate except that it’s cheaper than better alternatives.

1 Like

Is there any bike with integrated cockpit (no stem) that lets you change the length?

What I’m saying is it’s only sold with one length, they won’t ship it with any different length, there’s no mechanism in place to swap cockpits, the only option is buying one from them if you can, which you probably can’t since it’s not in stock and proprietary, and then if you do get one you have to disconnect everything to swap it out - and - you still can’t get 36cm bars or adjust the bar rotation angle.

Why this isn’t an absolute, hard stop deal breaker for more people is pretty mind blowing to me. Like what are you doing with a 54/56cm aero racing bike and a 100mm stem. I just checked and the 110 and 120mm cockpits aren’t in stock. What. The. F.

Factor does. They also let you change the width.

1 Like

My take is that there is no incentive for Canyon or most other big bike sellers to offer more customisation when demand is continuing to outstrip supply to the extent that all of their Aeroads are either sold out or estimated delivery months in advance. There are clearly enough people who sit in the middle of the bell curve and fit their stock bikes that right now they don’t need to go after people with more bespoke fit needs. If or when supply catches up with demand again, I expect that to change. At a minimum should be able to spec bar/stem sizes, gearing, crank length, as those can all be done within the same component spec and pricing. Would also love to one day buy a new bike that comes with a saddle of my choice!

I think the Canyon stock sizing is OK though. I’m a fairly normally proportioned human with an aggressive but not super aggressive fit. Reach on my Aeroad is spot on and exactly where the fitter wanted it (he fitted me on a rig first, then set up my winter bike with traditional stem/bars, then took a look at the Canyon to see how far off the bars were relative to the BB and if we needed to swap the bars off, but no need). The number of people for whom 36cm width is optimal is extremely low. And the higher end Aeroads have the bars with 40mm adjustable width, so the 39cm bar will actually go down to 37cm (or up to 41cm).

4 Likes

Hello, I have got the ultimate CFR dura ace, it’s an awesome bike, easy to ride downhill and a weapon uphill. Mounted with dtswiss 1100/50 is very fast on the flat and not too steep road, extremely precise to drive but not difficult, you can correct it. Only in the wind it becomes difficult for me. With the roval alpinist it’s slower on the flat but a dream on steep roads and more forgiving to drive. For a better comfort I suggest 28mm tyres( my choice Veloflex corsa evo) Never tried the tarmac but I have many friends enthusiasts of it.

3 Likes

I have the Zipp 303 Firecrest in my gravel bike and they are very good on crosswinds up to 25mph. I’m assuming the 303 NSW are even better.