Tacx Neo 2 Announced

I’m looking at upgrading my trainer from a Kickr V1 as I’m no longer relegated to the shed, but therefore need to reduce the trainer noise level. I’m looking at the Tacx Neo 1/2 or Kickr 2018.

I saw that DCRainmaker noted some ‘slip’ during high torque sprint efforts for the Neo 1 & again for the Neo 2, this has also been commented on by Shane Miller (GPlama). Does anyone have some feedback as to if this is still an issue, or if it has been resolved (or mostly resolved) through firmware?

I’m pretty big at 88kg, 6’4" and push 1650W+ in a sprint on the road (shimano PM) and just over 1500W while on the trainer (kickr v1 PM). The only information I can find on this slippage comes from guys doing 1200W or less - which I aim to be holding for ~12sec, not just a 1sec peak.

Does anyone have some feedback on the slippage issue for higher sprint power riders?

• Is slippage still an issue with Tacx Neo units?
  • Is slippage only an issue from low cadence, or is it also affected through high cadences (i.e. starting a sprint at 85rpm and spinning through to 125-130rpm = lower torque generated)?
  • How pronounced is the slippage? Can you ‘get used to it’ or does the resistance actually drop off, meaning it’s impossible to sustain the power?

Thanks for any feedback!

Citing Drew Epstein (who has always good advice on the Neo) from here:

Drew Epstein:
"It hasn’t, and can’t be “fixed” because it isn’t a defect.

With other trainers, you’re pushing against physical friction: a belt tensioning through a series of pullies rotating a flywheel. Those things prevent you from accelerating your cadence. You physically can’t do it unless the belt slips.

With Neo, you’re pushing against magnetic resistance, which has a maximum torque of 85Nm, and which slips if you go above that because it has no choice. There is no friction to prevent it.

The way to eliminate the issue: smooth pedaling. If you’re going up a very steep incline, keep on your cadence. If you try to jump from 60 rpm to 90 rpm on a 15% slope, you’re going to surpass the torque limit.

Given how little of the ridable virtual universe is subject to this problem, and how easily it can be managed with smooth pedaling… there is nothing to see here, honestly.

Note, this doesn’t happen in a flat out sprint while you’re already rolling. It really only happens at low speed and high torque with rapid cadence change. This is the tradeoff for everything else Neo can do."

2 Likes

Wont you damage your bike attempting big sprints on it indoors?

If done poorly, it is possible.

A rocker plate might just make it even less likely to cause problems too. The allowed motion reduces stress on the frame (at least that’s my theory).