Suprathreshold (102%):but why?

Currently at 4th week of POL Base.

AT is now trying to push me into 2x16min at 105% with 3min recovery (Cho Oyu, PL 6.8). This is also my current threshold PL. From previous weeks’ experience, this is going to be really hard. Plus after that workouts with 3x16min at 102% are waiting. In comparison, I think I can do sub-threshold Unicorn (PL 8.4) with less mental fighting. Actually neither workout is specific to my goals (ever growing medium intensity Z2 rides on flat terrains). Given choice, I do like Unicorn-like workouts better, though.

After high volume of Z2 and improving TTE for various durations, I am interested in raising FTP. So, here’s the question: should I continue following AT suggestions with suprathreshold or focus more in TiZ like @jarsson suggests?

1 Like

You’d have to go a lot harder than 102% of FTP to induce any increase in FTP.

1 Like

Which CP?

Overload principle: 102% is greater than anything <102%. Thus, if you want to drive your FTP up further, and you can’t approach it from other directions (e.g., greater volume), you have no choice but to up the intensity.

(In terms of average power, I had one of my best, if not my very best, 40 km TTs after finishing my build-up with a few weeks of twice-weekly 2 x 20 min erg sessions at slightly over FTP. Unfortunately, I flatted out of that race at master nationals.)

2 Likes

My stance will be - yes, if your TTE improved, 60 min TiZ just under ftp is not a problem, and you do not see any gains from threshold work and you have reached your volume limit, go over FTP. The question is why suprathreshold? I would say you will get more benefit from proper vo2 max workouts in this situation and overloading this system.

Working just over ftp is great, specific workout especially you are TTer, but other then that? Not very good ratio benefits to fatigue. Yes - you can reach vo2 max with that if the workouts are beloved seiler’s 4x8 (good workout for building aerobic capacity and specific workout for the racing) but this is a lot of work compared to 4x4 or 5x4 done with higher intensity.

But this is your training and in my opinion the best learning is by doing things :slight_smile: Try whatever floats your boat and you feel comfortable with. For me suprathreshold done absolutely nothing in comparision to vo2 max work and tte work (especially suplemented with “higher” volume (around 10-11h)), hence my opinion.

3 Likes

Cool, even better, thank you :bowing_man:

Side topic: weird thing with VO2max workouts, after starting with TR and structured training, my preference has been shifting continuously for longer intervals: 30/30 → 2min → 4min and now 5min. Usually still blow up when trying even longer intervals, though.

1 Like