SRAM Force AXS vs Shimano Ultegra Di2

Overall, I think my post in this thread is still up to date and covers pretty much all points.

TL;DR

• Both are great groupsets.
  • Do not waste money on a Shimano power meter.(*)
  • Ergonomics (hood shape, buttons, etc.) >> features. Subjectively SRAM wins by a kilometer, even though I came from Shimano mechanical, I kept on mis shifting even after two weeks on a Di2 loaner. 0 mis shifts with SRAM. And I vastly prefer the hood shape.
  • SRAM has more and more flexible gearing options.
  • The 10-tooth cog (lower efficiency, blablabla) does not matter in practice, especially for us amateurs. It is fine.
  • Other features such as shift speeds or “shift quality” do not matter in practice.

(*) Even if you go for a Shimano groupset, get a Quarq Red-level crank, a Quarq power meter that mounts Shimano chainrings and use that. Rotor cranks are a great alternative. Or use Assioma pedals.

Edit: @Power13 has me beat, yes, get the red bike. Red bikes are the second fastest, they are only beaten by yellow bikes. :grin:

I don’t think that’s universally correct, pricing depends on where you live. I live in Shimano land (aka Japan), so we actually pay more for Shimano gear than if I were to order it off of bike24 or so. One factor to consider is that SRAM gear is less common, so you might not be able to walk into a LBS and pick up a pair of brake pads for your brakes. But if you order online, pricing and availability are comparable in many markets.

6 Likes