Squats, ripping my legs to shreds

Good thread for me too. Im 38 and just started doing squats and deads as part of my gym work once a week. Legs were wrecked for 3 days :see_no_evil:

Ok, but the point I am trying to make is you likely can press that much for reps. IF that is true then your legs are not the weak link. If you can run across the street you are absorbing 2-4x your body weight with one leg on each stride. Your legs are not the weak link. Get you back, midline, shoulders etc strong enough to support and move under that weight. Squat is a full body movement that requires proper muscle recruitment and sequencing of more than just legs.

2 Likes

That’s OK I fully understand what you’re saying. It’s not easy to give a reply sometimes when you don’t have the full facts. I’ve been using weights consistently for about 4 months now, semi structured regime and started with weights I could easily handle and gradually progressed with a combination of heavier weights and varying reps/sets etc.
I was doing quite a lot of different exercises, mainly to find out which ones I enjoyed doing, my reasoning being that I have to enjoy it otherwise I won’t do it and to find out which exercises I can handle with a partially/incorrectly healed collar bone.
To clarify, this resistance regime is not primarily aimed at making me a faster cyclist, probably none of it is aimed at that really, it’s more a lifestyle/“it’s good to do at my age” type thing. Yes, I do want to increase size, I realise this may well hinder my cycling somewhat but, for the time being, my cycling is purely my cardio, just a fitness regime. I have raced time trials in the UK for 20 odd years but at the moment they aren’t my primary focus, it’s just that I get bored with more or less all other forms of cardio.

Hi, yes I’m starting light, very light, 26kg, I weigh 81. Also making an effort to get sufficient protein. 3 x 10 today, easily doable, just getting the muscles used to it at the moment still.

1 Like