Spouses also riding

I had a bike for a year and enjoyed it. You can do power based workouts also if you have a garmin to control the watts but tricky.

The digital app offers so much for what you get and very engaging. I really enjoyed yoga, meditation (my favorite), stretching, bootcamp and treadmill workouts. It is very approachable for casual use as well.

At some point I will sign back up.

Definitely a Spouse Who Rides (husband or wife) is probably the best to speak on this :smiley:

Wise advise.

I tend to push too much on things like this.
Giving her space to grow on her own term might be the best advise.

1 Like

Maybe a women only group work out on TR could be an alternative to a spinning class / Peleton.

I tried to introduce indoor cycling / structured training to my wife. Unsuccessful, because she is not really a fan of structured training and pushing herself to the limit in endurance sports. But she is happy to ride a few km to the Cafe with me and doesnā€™t mind if I leave her there to read a book for a while whilst I go for a quick spin. And I started doing Yoga with her. Which is really a great addition to cycling. So all good :).

2 Likes

LOL you should see some of our club gruppetto series rides (designed to help people learn to ride in a group, learn the basics of nutrition, bicycle etiquette, and build a fitness base). More than once I have diplomatically inserted myself between a couple in a pace line :rofl:

My advice for a new rider is to create a fun atmosphere, which in these times might mean packing a mask and riding out for coffee or something. Ask her what would motivate her to ride to build some fitness for the duathlon. If that is family rides on a trail, adjust your thinking, support her, and do whats right for her and the family.

2 Likes

I think that fun is a big part of it. In the last year, my wife went from riding her bike to commute a mile to completing a gran fondo, to recently pulling a group ride of other women for the better part of 100 miles.

When we started, all that I would do is plan rides to an ice cream or coffee shop on some fun roads. Eventually, she asked about what she could do for training, and I gave her a free TR trial and then no additional advice. She recently just moved up from the low volume to mid volume plan and is going strong.

I donā€™t think that it is useful to overthink how to get your significant other into the hobby. Give them the equipment and introduction to let them try it out, see how fun it is, and then they will take it from there.

3 Likes

My wife recently got into riding the trainer more, especially since we are both fairly busy and the only time we have to ride during the week is at night. I gave her the month free trial code for trainer road and she enjoys the simplicity of it. She is not much of a structured riding kind of person, but she went all in. ERG Hammer 2 trainer and all. She likes that all she has to do is pedal and it does the rest. After six weeks of riding the trainer one to two times a week she has seen a gain of 10 watts. And she has noticed it has made the outside rides a lot more fun. Win WIn

1 Like

I agree to this as spouse who rides. My husband I started trainer road together, and I definitely needed to get into it on my own. Getting a large TV and being able to watch trashy TV white TR is on my phone has also been amazing, its something my husband doesnā€™t get but its a huge plus

1 Like

Ha, at least Peloton is all about intensity, even if its not the most effective training for everyone.

My other half is 100% tempo light on the treadmill. Sheā€™s never trained for speed, but at least pre-children, had some silly fast capabilities (but only ran hard when it started to rain). As soon as I mention ā€œFour byā€ she zonks out. I mean, Iā€™m talking about 4x800 or 4x1600, nothing behind her eyes, not even a negative reaction.

Always been that way, and I gave up once she graduated law school, having been capable of beating the cross-country undergrads in a 10 milerā€¦ (without her running intervals in ā€œtrainingā€).

I was hoping to save on law school loans. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

My wife decided to try cycling for the first time after seeing me train this winter using TR. The biggest key is letting them come to it on their own. She started with short 20 minute free rides on Zwift and has now increased it to 30 minutes everyday. Every now and then I ask her to try a ramp test in TR for fun and to test out erg mode for her, sheā€™s done it once and actually really liked it. Its all about steady progress.

If somebody is naturally competitive, there will come a time when they want to get faster and thats where TR comes into play.

2 Likes

I would not assume anything and let her try trainer road, zwift, sufferfest, some gcn vids on YouTube as well as group rides if available. All the main platforms have trials or money back guarantees of some kind.

When I first started out, I really enjoyed sufferfest and just used RPE and I found indoor training a lot less stressful than outdoors (traffic, weather etc).
Now (at 4w/kg) I want more structure (TR) but thatā€™s something only she will be able to figure out for herself

2 Likes

Hey all.

I got my wife a new bike trainer (i decided not be an asshole and got her a nice one without braking the bank - The Elite Tuo).
I still need to pick up my friendā€™s road bike. Which i will probably do tomorrow.

I was talking to her about her training options. I said i would like her to try TR, but she is concern about pushing herself too much. She does have tachycardia from time to time, so this fear is understandable. We all know how hard the ramp test can be, so im not sure if that kind of test is for her.

Point is, even though I love TR, maybe starting her with something else might be a better idea. I do not like zwift, but maybe she will and she will find it more motivation thereā€¦
Thoughts?

My wife will bike on and off outdoors. Couple years a go she found a super cheapo magnetic trainer at Aldi. She has used it to spin on occasions. Last week I was doing a VO2 TR workout and was nice weather so setup both trainers outside. Told her what I was doing on TR and she followed along just on RPE what it said to doā€¦and enjoyed it a bunch. She is a sporty person but with some back issues and can outrun me any day. Fact is, she enjoyed riding with company without me telling what to do. Now, as a trade-off I am doing yoga with her -actually really is helping me.

1 Like

I sent my wife a referral code today and she signed up for TR, now the challenge is whether sheā€™ll use her road bike on the kinetic road machine, my Hammer (preferable, I donā€™t mind sharing!) or the cheap spin bike she has in our bedroom (blech). But Iā€™m gonna do my best to keep my mouth shut!

1 Like

Iā€™d also toss in the Peloton app into the ring for consideration. My wife and daughters would rather go to a spin class, and Peloton app with ā€œbring your own bikeā€ might deliver a fun and motivational kick (plus your wife is in control of intensity).

1 Like

I like this ideaā€¦
thank!

1 Like

Use some less adjusting TR workouts and let her watch mtv or something else she likes until she gets into the habit of adjusting power or HR outputs.

I still binge watch and Ive been using TR since 2013 thanks to Nate sponsoring my womens team

1 Like

Hi kinda in the same boat at the moment although we do cycle together on occasion Iā€™ve been trying to get her to do some structured work, when she does use the trainer she has up until now just watched GCN workout videos and found those good, but i showed her Rouvy app last night and she seemed pretty keen on trying that out also it has the add bouns of having a family member on it with the one subscription so you can both use it for the same price. might be another option

1 Like

I think you shouldnā€™t make the decision for her. The person has to decide for themselves whether they like it or hate it. The fact that you can probably give her referral codes makes this a pretty low risk experiment. If she likes it, you win. If you prove your theory, you win. Itā€™s really about her finding something she likes.

2 Likes

Also FWIW, a couple that lives near me are both using Road Grand Tours. She rode part of Stelvio last week! He has the paid version and has loaded local road races, and does workouts on the courses.