Specialized Aethos as a Race bike

Thanks so much for the comment! Yeah thinking about it you’re probably right. Whilst I’m all about racing and that, maybe two of exactly the same bike just doesn’t make sense. Guess it’s be better to switch it up!

Ending up sticking with the SL6 for know. Wanted to go with an aethos, but they are super difficult to find in stock. Still love the SL6 and can make a few modifications to make it more comfortable

Ahh fair play! It probably makes sense I’ve heard if you have the sl6, but yeah the stock issue is so bad at the moment

:joy: :rofl: hahaha yeah! Naa, I was toying with the idea of a second sl7 as a backup for racing and general commuting but went ahead and put down for the aethos

2 Likes

The Aethos is UCI approved for geometry and for weight, if your build is too low, you can get steel thru axels to up the weight and make it UCI weight legal as well.

2 Likes

Sure, but it seems a bit of a waste if you invest in a super low weight frame without aero benefits that you will have to weigh down with ballast when you want to race.

Everyone knows the Aethos is super-light, so if there was a min weight limit for any of your races, it would be instantly in the spotlight for a check. It’s also going to be slower than a Tarmac SL7 in pretty much any race situation outside of a hill climb with no min weight. So I don’t see the point in choosing it as a race bike unless racing was a secondary consideration. In which case I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s not likely to make a major difference between winning and losing a race.

2 Likes

No one is checking weight at amateur races!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

they might not be checking at your local races but this is not a blanket statement by any means. i’ve had bike weighed a number of times at races conforming to national level rules. is it petty and unwarranted, absolutely. But commissaires are going to do their thing, and you get some who are way too into it.

1 Like

They do where I live. Even if they don’t, why break the rules? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Just like they’re not checking for steroids…

1 Like

I never suggest cheating. Perhaps it was an ignorant statement although in my experience I’ve never witnessed it. I have witnessed USADA at events but unfortunately not nearly enough.

I’m glad they are checking weights at some events. Let’s keep everyone honest!

:slight_smile:

There are no weight limits at the overwhelming majority of USAC events…it is not cheating to show up with a bike that is sub 6.6kg.

3 Likes

Even if the low weight is not a problem, it’s still likely to be slower than an aero race bike for everything except pure hill climbing. That’s why it’s not being sold as a race bike.

I suppose so as only UCI sanctioned races have the weight & geometry requirements.

I am surprised this many people actually participate in UCI-sanctioned events.
I guess 99% of races are not UCI-sanctioned and you can ride a lower weight bike.
If you have to abide by UCI‘s 6.8kg minimum weight, I‘d definitely NOT get heavy axles and stuff like that. That’s just deadweight with no advantage over the lighter equivalent.
Things that might actually make a difference to your performance could be: a heavier, more comfortable saddle. Heavier, more comfortable bar tape. Wider, more comfortable tires. Deeper, more aero wheels, maybe even aero handlebars. Also, a taller rider, who needs a larger frame can still get down to the UCI weight limit.
However, unless your race is ONLY decided on very, very long and steep climbs, the aero bike always wins…

This is the bike I rode this season for Gran Fondos in the mountains and my vacation in the alps. 6.68kg in 58, with 28c tires, a large 10-36 cassette, and a tail light.
However, if you use a more comfortable saddle, non Ti axles on pedals, standard bottlecages, non Schmolke Handlebar and seatpost etc… you might come out to pretty exactly 6.80kg as a race weight.

4 Likes

Awsome!! Looks incredible. Convinced me, 2022 model s works sram ordered! Can’t wait :stuck_out_tongue: and actually in stock at the local store which is even better haha

1 Like

Quite an ironic username there, considering the bike in question :wink:

Seriously though, that looks like a great ride for the Alps. I take it that’s not the stock seat clamp? Looks a bit odd in silver with everything else blacked out.

It’s a tune. Doesn’t save any weight, but I like the looks.
The bike looks blacker than it is. SRAM Red Chainring, chain, cassette, the pedals etc are all silver.

I just have the Aethos additionally to the Aero-Stuff :grin:
Exhibit A:

4 Likes

Would love to hear someone’s feedback on Aethos vs SL7, aside from aero data/stats. After riding the new Crux, I’m beginning to understand the idea behind the Aethos and it’s intriguing.

1 Like