SPD vs SPD-SL (vs Wahoo Speedplay?)

+1 for Shimano SPDs.

I’ve been riding this pedal system for 12+ years on and off road. I can’t think of a time when they’ve let me down. They’re a rock solid design. I have a pair of 2008 XT SPDs on my mountain bike that I swear will outlast me!

Once you find the tension that works for you, you will never give them another thought. It’s also far easier to walk in a shoe with recessed cleats.

3 Likes

I only have spds on all my bike. Can’t be bothered having to buy more shoes, just to fit different pedal systems. Can’t comment if there’s more power, but it’s definitively more convenient this way.

However, if you struggle to set off from a stop with the group, because you’re still trying to clip in, I’d suggest practicing setting off without clipping in. Just start pedalling, and clip in when you’re up to speed.

2 Likes

Speedplay alll the way here as well - originally for my knees but now there’s no way I’d go back. Just the other day several of my highly experienced (20+ years riding) mates commented on how I get away faster than them at every stop and junction and they never see me have any issues clipping in.

I did buy a set of Powertap P1s for travel and using on different bikes etc but have never really got on with them and after a winter using them on my winter bike my knees really felt it (as well as continual reliability issues) so they are now consigned to the junk drawer… Will jump on the new Speedplay PM as soon as thats finally available.

2 Likes

My first clipless pedals were SPDs on the Mountain Bike. After the usual period of falling down while failing to unclip, I came to like them quite a bit. When it came time to get a road bike, Speedplay was the choice because they were the only dual-sided road pedal, and the idea of single sided pedals seemed silly. I like them at least as well as the SPDs.

Pros: dual sided, lots of float, easy exit, walkable cleats (though I would still avoid tile and smooth&wet anything)

Cons: tension is dependent on mounting torque, need lube from time-to-time. If you walk through sand and don’t clear it out of the cleat, you could get stuck clipped in, and have to twist really hard to get out.

-Tim

3 Likes

I switched from Ultegra SPD-SL’s to XTR SPD on my road bike and love them. Power transfer is great and I like the increased float. I have a road, Gravel, and MTB and love having the same pedals on all bikes. I use Shimano RX8 shoes for the road and gravel bikes and they are light, stiff, and comfortable.

2 Likes

The Light Action were always really easy to clip into also. I never understood why anyone went up to the Zeros

1 Like

I get the concept…some people just didn’t like all the float from the X-1’s.

But yeah, I never went the Zero route until now….and was basically forced to. X1’s are no longer an option.

2 Likes

I have used SPD pedals for the first year on the road (coming from MTB) and they worked fine for my (very mediocre) needs. Not sure about proper road shoe options with SPD, I was using my MTB shoes.

Switched to SPD-SL once I decided to do more road cycling, new shoes etc.
Definitely felt more “connected” with the bike, but in the back of my mind I always thought this cannot be the end of the road pedal-wise. Never liked the clipping in at traffic lights, although single-leg drills helped a lot for those darned situations where I messed up… Also, walking on the cleats is just terrible design.

Last year I tried Speedplay (new bike) and immediately liked it. Kind of a compromise between the other two systems, but more sophisticated.
I agree with all the typical pros and cons that you can find in various reviews, but clipping in is definitely a strong pro for me. I will stick with Speedplay for the foreseeable future. First time installation takes a bit of time, but worth it for me. Also, great for bike fitting if that’s a concern. And walking… don’t get me started.

Best wishes for your healing!

3 Likes

I have knee issues. I am one who can feel the difference using an SL or Keo, and I do like the tighter fit and wider platform which helped me with hot spots. Having said that, for about the last 10 years I ran Speedplay for the knees. I really like the float. I’ve been a mountain biker for a long time and have used SPD for a good 20 years now. Lately, I almost never ride road, but put in the most miles on gravel. As a result, I’ve switched all my bikes (including the trainer) to SPD. I like the ones with a wider cage like the 8020 for a bit more support. It does add about 200g, but I could stand to lose way more than that in body weight.

1 Like

I’ve been using Crank Brothers (CB) pedals on my bikes for ~15 years after I decided I didn’t get on with SPD-SL (eg. ease of clip-in around urban areas, akin to the OP), and they’ve worked great for me:

• super easy to clip in and out of (double-sided pedal entry like SPD), and never unclipped accidentally;
  • use lightweight MTB shoes (that look like road shoes) with stiff soles so no hot spots, and can walk around off the bike with non-slip ease;
  • been using CB Candy pedals for a long time, and it’s great that the cheapest ones (Candy 1s) weigh less than any but the range-topping Candy 11s which are 7.5x the price;
  • in the MTB world people can moan about Crank Brothers longevity, but in road use that’s been a non-issue in all the years I’ve used them, and the first set(s) I bought still work alright.

So there are other options with little or no downside IME, whether SPD or elsewhere, if you weigh practicality as important to you.

3 Likes

I get the worst clip-in anxiety (spd-sl) when I’m lining up for a race. I always get there early and line up in the front. Whistle blows and the entire field passes me as I try to clip in. If I’m at a traffic light and not thinking about it, it’s completely automatic/first-try.

Same thing if I overthink walking down stairs. :joy:

4 Likes

Yes lube is important, I have had to take my shoe off on occasion to get out of my right pedal. Never a problem with my left.

2 Likes

Lube is important, but even more important is proper mounting using the correct wedges to ensure the base plate is flat and not bent lengthwise. If you find that tightening the top plate screws jams the c-clip and impedes pedal action, it’s probably because the base plate is not flat.

This is the weak point of Speedplay’s design - its reliance on a flat surface mounted on the curved sole of cycling shoes.

4 Likes

Yeah, the wedge shims are a bit of a hassle, and improper setup as well as the 4x screw torque make this more finicky than other systems. Not a real problem once setup, but I have had to help more than one customer who didn’t RTFM and just smashed it all together. Their mistake, but a flaw in the system that it can be setup poorly when compared to regular cleat options that are more simple in setup.

2 Likes

I love both the SPD and Speedplays.

After going between both for a bit, I have to say that I like SPDs more. I like being able to walk in my cycling shoes. I also feel clipping both in and out of SPD is much more ingrained in me than with speedplays. I always miss my speedplay clipin once in every 10 times. But thats enough for me to get nervous sometimes out on the road bike.

As for feeling more connected, I must say that people should look at the Look X-Track pedals too. I use the Look En Rage pedals which are SPD compatible. The platform on those pedals is rock solid. Sure, its heavier but I think enduro pedals give that platform sensation that people claim SPDs don’t give on other pedals.

3 Likes

So I googled around and came across some China-play pedals

Maybe someone wants to bravely try this and report back? :smiley:

1 Like

I am very much going to give these a try. I have some nice road shoes with speed play cleats that I’m kinda keen to move away from. This might be a way to salvage them by adapting them to spd.

Anything I should be aware of when you use such an adapter? You mentioned it doesn’t feel like SPDs off the bike. Any other tips and/or thoughts?

2 Likes

I will switch my roadbike over to SPD also, i will use a SPD + platform pedal. That way, with MTB shoes, you get a larger contact area, really makes the foot very stable on the pedal, maybe even more contact area than just the SPD-SL pedals. ALso makes anything off the bike a lot easier.

Seeing MTB and CX racers can output 1000’s of watts on SPD’s, there really should not be an issue for us. Do put your cleats as far back as possible!

1 Like

Here’s an update so far. I love them! And I use the SPD Adapters like @iamholland linked. I love the advice and tips so far. I’ve been using the SPD Adapters with my carbon road shoe and I haven’t noticed any difference besides the ease of clipping in. One thing to note though, is to be careful when rocking your feet side to side when walking. The platform could “roll” and you could twist your ankle if you aren’t careful.

2 Likes

I had Speedplays for two years from buying a new road bike and just getting back into cycling after 15 years away. I had been in years of spin classes and had a rarely used old bike, using SPD pedals in both cases. The Speedplays never “broke in” contrary to the dealer. Instead of a knee saver, trying to unclip created very painful knee issues. They sounded like gun shots uncliping. So I read, and learned to clean and dry lube them and the cleats for every single ride. Why? Twice I fell over into traffic when stopping. Ever hear tires grating the pavement at 45 mph from sharp turns right next to your head? I had four different mechanics “adjust” them with new cleats and shims. The shoes were Sidi’s with an upturned front. The second tip over into traffic was the end. I got the the SPD SL’s which had a wider more supportive base immediately improving climbing and stability with improved entry and exit of the pedals. Note that Speedplay developed an easier to clip in and out version. I will never recommend them and believe they should do more development for their flaw.

2 Likes