Shimano Dura Ace 9200 [speculation]

New Roadmachine being offered with Dura Ace 2x12 :eyes::eyes:
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/intl_en/roadmachine01-one.html

7 Likes

I’m surprised and not surprised Shimano is sticking with 11-speed cogs and doesn’t expand the range. What a disappointment, that means it still won’t offer native 1x solutions.

1 Like

12k bike that comes stock with a 50t chainring. Guess they know their audience.

2 Likes

link is gone now :frowning:

still on international site

What’s wrong with a 50-tooth chainring? When you live in the mountains (of, say, Switzerland), you probably choose your chainrings by your climbing gears. I’m more surprised they only specced an 11-30 cassette in the back. If Shimano continues to limit its DuraAce RDs to 11-30 (officially at least), that’d seem like a big mistake.

1 Like

50/11 is fine unless your pro

3 Likes

If you spin at ~100 rpm on the (false) flats, you can do with way less. When winds are fair, there are a few stretches of road where I can do 48-52 km/h, and then I am usually in 50:13. Unless you like to grind gears, a 50:11 will be plenty, unless you insist on pedaling on many downhills. Unless I race, that doesn’t interest me so much, I don’t want to become an organ donor. :wink:

My new bike will have a 42:10 as its tallest gear, so roughly equivalent to 50:12. I was debating between a 42- and a 44-tooth chainring. I went for the smaller one since I am in the smallest gear a lot, lot more often than I am in the 50:11.

3 Likes

Nothing worse than riding with a tail wind in a group spinning 100rpm… and they just roll away from you.

1 Like

I need to be on your rides mine only hit 38 in a sprint

Roll away from you? You must be riding in much more serious groups than I am :wink:

At 100 rpm you’ll do 58.2 km/h if you have a 50:11 vs. 60.6 km/h with a 52:11. I’ve been on some pretty brisk group rides (with former pros, domestic pros and the like), but I don’t think there was ever a situation where we went significantly faster than 50 km/h (unless going downhill, of course) and pack closely together. In my experience I don’t think I’ve exceeded 55 km/h — unless going downhill, of course. Even holding 50ish means you need to have a tail wind or be shielded from the wind.

1 Like

It’s Texas… we don’t have hills but it’s stupid windy sometimes.

1 Like

Literally two weeks ago… and happens anytime there is a north wind.

1 Like

35,9 mph = 57,8 km/h, you can do that on a 50:11 spinning at about 100 rpm. Why do you need a 52:11 for that? At 109 rpm (your max cadence during that time), you can do it in a 50:12.

PS Also, this was a downhill segment (-5.1 % average gradient). Yes, I sometimes spin out on downhill segments, but in most cases I am limited by not wanting to cross lanes because of traffic. I can think of only 1–2 places where I can safely go beyond 50:11 and even there a 52:11 isn’t that big of an improvement. Certainly not enough to make up for not having an easier uphill gear.

1 Like

-0.5% grade. False flat if anything.

Sorry, you are right, my bad, I was looking at the wrong entry.

Still, 50:11 seems to work great if you natural high-speed cadence is 95–100 rpm. (Mine is, but of course, this is a personal matter.)

1 Like

Mines 80-85rpm. Here is a 3.5 mile segment with a good tailwind:

That was almost certainly 50x12 from looking at a gearing chart, and pushed my HR up to LTHR.

These days the Wed night crew is averaging over 30mph on that segment.

1 Like

Guys, we are looking at the specs of one bike…we don’t know yet what other options may be available. Based on the cassette option listed, I would fully expect Shimano to offer at least a mid-compact crank option, if not a regular combo as well.

My guess is BMC just opted for the compact crank option for this bike.

2 Likes

I remember being attacked by a world champion track rider on a group ride and I was in my big ring and he was still in his little ring. It was his recovery day. That’s when I knew I had no gift

1 Like

That’s a different matter, of course, so I reckon at 30 mph = 48.3 km/h you’d need a 52:11 at 80 rpm. Although you could do 50:11 at 85 rpm. :slight_smile:

1 Like