Seriously are Boas just bloody useless?

I have to tighten both the velcro and dial on my shoes after a bit of the spin. Inside, I don’t generally have to tighten the velcro, but the dial normally gets a couple of clicks after a warm up. I’ve always put it down to a combo of my feet settling in and the upper stretching.

The pro’s, as long as I can remember (so before clipless), feel the need to tighten before the final.

fwiw, I quite often have to tighten lace up my running shoes a km or so in. I’ve never blamed the laces :man_shrugging:

Have the same shoes and same issue. But mine also seem to pop as well. I have noticed it happening a little less often recently, so instead of every ride its now every third ride.

Dont think I’m doing anything differently now so maybe they have bedded in or something. I have them 2 years but they haven’t had much use. maybe 50-60 spins/races

1 Like

I have boas on my road shoes. The shoes are prob like 3 years old and in great shape. I have had the cable/whatever snap on both of them but fortunately it was at the end so I have been able to reuse them (I have replacement kits boa sent me so I’ve always got new stuff as a backup). This is probably user error and I just haven’t taken the time to fix it, but my left shoe does loosen a bit more during rides since the repair, but I can always tighten a bit as I’m riding

As a CX guy I have Velcro shoes for that which I want to replace with boa shoes because getting dirt in stuff in Velcro isn’t much fun!

My complaint about Boas is that to get the ones we’re you can tighten and loosen them by turning the dial, you must buy the high end shoes. If I want a less expensive shoe**, the Boa often only loosens by pulling it out and releasing all the tension when I just want to loosen it by a single click.

**I often find mid-range shoes to be more comfortable, usually due to more toe room and a more flexible sole.

Wrong thread? :joy:

2 Likes

For a $2 piece of plastic dial it’s so stupid that they make separate uni-directional and bi-directional dials.

1 Like

Velcro does wear out. I have some shoes (mtb) that i had to retire because the velcro straps would come un done from time to time

I wonder this about car manufacturers who still don’t put auto up AND down windows in their cars as standard, or if they do they only do it for the driver’s window.

Okay so I’ve been reading this thread in stealth since it started because I have this issue with my Boa’s loosening so significantly to the point where my shoes (S-Works 7) feel loose. Every ride now without fail.

Been like this for the past month roughly. Been trying to work out how many miles I’ve done in these, and it’s somewhere between 3500 to 4000 miles.

Takes about an hour for them to ‘work’ loose.

Tried this digging the heel in approach, which isn’t new to me (we learn this technique in hiking and trail running) - but it’s not changing anything, because well maybe for me I put the shoes on pretty well in the first place.

So, I have a pair of Giro factor Techlace with an older version of Boa’s on them, and those never have this issue - these are really old shoes, with 15,000 + miles on them over several seasons and are still in remarkably good condition. Something is up, either it’s the Boas or the materials used in new shoes like S-Works 7s?

I can’t see myself being bothered asking Boa for a replacement, will just continue to tighten as I go during the ride, but wanted to throw my user experience into the mix too. There is something here that degrades faster than the previous version in my experience and it has for me become an irritation.

My shoes are S-Works 6es. The dials just get worn out after a year or two and will slip a notch or two if you do a sprint. I’m sure different versions of the dials behave differently. Mine are the S2. I usually notice fine dust/silt in the dials if I open them up. I think the dust gets in and just wears them down over time.

I’ve several pairs of Boa equipped road shoes and they’ve all been faultless.

1 Like

I have Shimano RC7 from 2017 or so. Just one boa and velcro. Always loosening up after 15 minutes… Finally I got RC7 new version with 2 boas, and much better.

A bit off topic but how are you finding them. Have they given a little bit in the upper and strap across the top? I’m coming from Bont riots and the overall shoe feels much nicer apart from a weird little hot spot just before my little toe, and the strap across the top just feeling like it’s pressing against my ankle a little. The Bonts gave me a good 3 years but I never really managed to mould them to my liking. I really hate breaking in new shoes!!!

Hi, due to my poor english, all I can say is the former Shimano RC7 looks to plastic. And new one (the one with 2 boas) (sinthetic) leather looks much better, and looks as original leather. Shoe fits better on my feet. The former (the one with a boa) feels more rigid on the feet, it’s like a plastic feeling (more difficult to fit and wrap the feet).

1 Like

Totally agree and I didn’t know how to explain it. This is my experience too.

My feet shrink when I ride, contrary to what most people seem to experience with feet expanding a little. I always have to tighten my shoes after riding for a while. No matter what the closure is.

1 Like

I have a set of Specialized road shoes from 2013 with the early version of Boa and they are still working great. I have a set of Specizlized MTB shoes bought in 2019 that are working great too. I’ve had nothing but good experiences with mine. If yours are coming lose maybe you should contact your shoe manufacturer since they seem to be faulty.

The ability to micro adjust is great for me.