Seeking Recommendation for Aluminum Clinchers

HED Ardennes or Shimano C24/C40

3 Likes

Try Fulcrum Quattro racing wheels they roll very well and are aero as well. I train and race these wheels.

2 Likes

Rol Wheels Alpe D’huez 1430g light and solid!

1 Like

I have a set of HED Ardennes+ and a set of Belgium+ and they are both great (apparently they are one and the same, just depends if it is a factory or custom build). They are relatively light weight and they offer a wide internal rim width for maximum volume on tubeless tire setups.

1 Like

I have HED Belgium/DT Swiss hub wheelets on both bikes as training sets. Great wheels.

1 Like

Great wheels. Campagnolo Scirocco are basically a rebranded version of the same set and tend to be sold for a bit cheaper.

They aren’t the lightest but for the training wheels, they are perfect.

2 Likes

I rode a set of Campagnolo Zondas to death from 2013-15 – got 30,000+ miles out of them. Keep the bearings replaced and you’re good. I like the ride of the HEDs better, but Zondas are really nice training wheels.

3 Likes

Zonda C17’s are incredibly good. They are Record level hubs, quality cup/cone bearings. They come in at about 1540grams and you will never need to true them.

The only knock is that they are a C17 wheel and not tubeless compatible.

1 Like

I’ve been training on Zonda wheels for quite some time and absolutely love them.

A bit of a pro tip here: Zonda with Campy freewheel tend to sell for a bit less than Shimano, which means you can buy a (IMO) superior Chorus cassette and use it with any Shimano or Sram groupset. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No argument from me… the Chorus cassettes are super high quality.

Been using coupons to stock up on them (in my preferred ratio) since the minute 12s was announced. At last count I have 9… :crazy_face:

1 Like

Hoarder. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

*Prepper

1 Like

I thought it may be worth updating all in this thread. As @DarthShivious recommended, I placed my purchase through The Colorado Cyclist. They currently have a discount going on their hand-built wheels. I opted for DT Swiss 350 Hubs and HED Belgium rims. Looking forward to their delivery!
Not as budget friendly as I had planned, but I trust that these wheels will last a long time if properly maintained.
Thanks to all!

2 Likes

Just adding this because i don’t think anyone has mentioned this option. Easton EA90SL rims are fantastic. 28mm deep, 19.5mm inner width, lighter than a lot of the competitors (455g non-disc). I built up a set with Miche hubs and they completely changed the bike.

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/easton-r90-sl-clincher-rim-700c-24h?gclid=CjwKCAjwndCKBhAkEiwAgSDKQVPQinaLIYs8xbpueaIhksDV9M6iMizGusdb9OIzO4wwvZs0QKbdSBoCojgQAvD_BwE

1 Like

I have recently changed wheels in my Emonda ALR. After some research I went custom option: https://www.blackcatwheels.ch

To be honest I am more than pleased. The wheels are fitted into your riding style, power and individual preferences when it comes into components. The build quality is great and whole communication was flawless. But what is pleasingly surprising the price is very similarl to stock wheels from main manufacturers but you have this “boutique” vibe that you get what you want. I can fully recommend it as viable alternative for buying stock.

1 Like

Campagnolo Zonda or Eurus…
Are great Light and reliable.

1 Like