School me on bike building

Go for it.

If I can give my advice - be super anal with all the small parts - washers, screws, pins, etc… easy to lose them and easy to forget the order is which they should go on again if you take a part off.

Good point and thinking about it for sure.

No. It’s not.
Carbon needs a torque wrench. You’re not figuring out 5Nm by “feel”.

4 Likes

+1
I have found Park Tools’ torque wrenches well worth the investment:
TW-5.2 (2-14nm) - stem, bars, seat, seat post, and other small stuff
TW-6.2 (10-60nm) - wheel lock rings for cassette, rotors

Are those same people against tire pressure gauges, tape measures and the like?

I can’t imagine the logic that goes into second guessing tools to measure things. I’m not trying to derail the thread, but that is just plain odd to me.

There are certain measurement tools that absolutely get you to the measure you need, but where the tolerance or acceptable variance also is relatively wide, or the absolute risk is low. Tire pressure gauge is a good example of this. You can be +/-5psi and its not the end of the world, and if you get a flat not really the end of the world most of the time, just a pain in the ass.
Carbon fiber however is not one of those types of components. The tolerances on carbon are pretty tight, especially when you start applying excess force the weave was not intended for. When carbon fails it also doesn’t just bend or dent, its typically catastrophic, and given the components we are talking about that increases the absolute risk level dramatically.

I have no idea if this resource is good, but the FLO guys seem to know their stuff, and I bet this is probably worth a review.

1 Like

Yep it’s fun, but especially when you factor in you own time, it’s not a cost saving exercise :grinning:

I would buy this in paperback:

Depending on what you’re building you’ll get different challenges, crown race setting and bottom brackets you might want to outsource to your LBS.

Also, come race day if your shifters disintegrate with 30km to go, you’ve only got one person to blame… :cry:

But seriously it’s great knowing everything about your bike, particularly if you have to take it apart and travel to races and rebuild it. When things go wrong, you’ve got a much better chance of anticipating it and coping with it. :+1:

Another awesome bike build video by Rides of Japan: