Rules for riding on the road in Germany

Kinda agree with this. As a foreigner living in Germany (Stuttgart area), it’s the only place I’ve ever been shouted at or sprayed with windscreen washers (out of Finland, Spain, UK, Austria, Italy). And it happens semi-regularly, not even because there is a bike lane I’m not using. Just because people are idiots with road rage seeing a cyclist on road. Kinda crazy how people get. Roads are pretty okay I’d say but bike lanes are not often suitable for road cycling, bumpy and full of gravel. Hence you need to get used to the idiots.
Italy at least in the north is better imo, they drive fast but leave more space and never had such things happen to me as in Germany.
Actually the Garmin Varia radar has been very helpful lately, notifying of cars on the B-roads where people drive over 100kph.

5 Likes

I only trust in statistics I have falsified myself.

For example here is the map out of ‘Europe road safety and statistics for cyclists - European Commission’

Sure France has a lower number. But if you just look at those numbers you shouldn’t cycle in the Netherlands and even the before mentioned Austria is way worse compared to Germany.

What is not reflected in the numbers: What percentage of the population cycles? And probably also worth mentioning when looking at the death numbers is the age distribution.

As you can see in Germany the percentage of 65+ year olds is quite high and above EU average. Now is that because there are more old people riding - maybe fast with E-Bike - compared to other countries?

Again, my point is not that Germany is the best country in the world for cycling. It’s not. Especially in cities I agree there are angry people on the road (in cars and fellow cyclists - don’t get me started about my fellow commuters…). But I just can’t agree with a blank statement that cycling on German roads is ‘super scary stuff’. Or at least if you feel that way then riding a bike is super scary almost everywhere in the world.

4 Likes

Having lived in the Rheingau region for 3 yrs and comparing it to riding back in Canada (Toronto area), my experience has been the following:

• Bike infrastructure far exceeds Canadian standards.
  • General driver/rider interactions are significantly improved. I’ve been honked at maybe 7 times in 3 yrs. I feel remarkably safer on the road here than in Canada.
  • Road surface. Hahahaha. It’s like an order of magnitude better. Paths in the forest are paved with higher quality than a regional road in Ontario. It’s mind blowing.

Like anywhere, there are roads that you should avoid. But it’s unusual and most of the time there’s an alternative to take.

The topography, the access, the variety…I’d have never guessed just how amazing and great this cycling playground is here. There is not one thing about drivers and safety that has diminished my experience here whatsoever. Love it.

4 Likes

Fully agree to this!

especially this:

Germany has a huge road network, therefore it’s most of the time possible to avoid busy roads (not totally, but mainly).

Cyclepaths may be better in oter countries (e.g. the Netherlands), but the network of small backcountry roads (in accaptable condition) is huge!

4 Likes

I am German, but living in the US now. Back in the day (1990ies), we were allowed to ride on the road, if the bike was a race bike used for sport activity and being a member of a cycling club. I don’t know, if this still is correct. Looking it up at the German governing body for cycling BDR might help to shine some light on it, from a road bike training perspective.

Footpath with „frei für radfahrer“ is not mandatory. You still might get yelled at :joy:

There are quite some „Wirtschaftswege“ in Germany. These are paved roads for farmers only (no regular traffic). You might get some manure there as well, but if you have someone who knows the area you should be able to fine some nice routes. You can also give komoot or strava a shot…

3 Likes