Rocker Plates for Trainers

That all sounds great and super interesting. I’d love to see a video of the movement if you’re willing to share. Mega props on taking a very different path. So cool. :smiley:

1 Like

Moves forward and back, side to side and it has compression.

2 Likes

Cool. Care to share more details on construction method and materials?

I used two sheets of 3/4 play wood. I cut them to 5’x3’.
I cut strips to keep the tennis balls in assigned areas.
Due to my size over 200lbs I am using a few more balls.
I put floor leveler down since the sump pump is 8’ from the platform and it had an 1" of fall.
I tapcon’d the bottom plywood to the floor.
The 2x6 go around the platform so the top plywood floats on the balls.

2 sheets of plywood are $`100
Floorlever is $50
Tennis balls $30

Only thing left is to paint and I am going to bolt the trainer through the plywood rather then ziptie.

I can only ride standing up right now and this is amazing. Works great

5 Likes

Buddy of mine is a speed skater and cyclist on the side. He decided to combine the two for rocker plate…unique is he added some old speed skating wheels s not only is it rockin, but some back and forth movement too!
140249645_824300564785426_6112306384413132690_n 139098030_327239285174259_811731771054379310_n 138930456_563697681255950_2861859574564080928_n

3 Likes

This is a great thread! I’m wondering if anyone has tried putting the balance pods directly under the feet of a trainer without having the plywood board between? Using either THESE or THESE types of pods. If so, could you post a photo or video of how you made them work. Thanks!

1 Like

Several examples I shared way earlier in the thread:

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/rocker-plates-for-trainers/1981/492?u=mcneese.chad

They work and add motion, but I greatly dislike the bounce that comes from a pure suspension support.

Thanks for the reply! It’s a long thread! I guess I missed them.

1 Like

Ha, no problem. Didn’t expect you or anyone to digest the whole thing :stuck_out_tongue:

Always happy when I can point people in a direction of an answer. Let me know as you get more questions. :smiley:

1 Like

All those images you provided were extremely helpful, thank you!

1 Like

I like the idea of the T-Plate rocker. I think I’ll order some of the balance pods for this purpose. With the vertical board you mentioned no need for a complex pivot. The question I have is, how is the vertical board fastened? Do you screw the top of the vertical board into the plywood deck? I’m guessing then that the bottom of the vertical board is just resting on the floor then? With the pods, what size board do you use? 2x4? Do you use 3/4" plywood? Thanks!

1 Like

Depends on the precise materials, but screwing thru the deck down into the vertical can work. Another option is to use some metal angle brackets. They have holes and can be screwed into both parts to make a sturdy support.

Yes, the vertical should sit on the floor in use. Depending on the side and pressure of your pods, it may be slightly lifted off the floor with just the bike and trainer.

Yes, 3/4" thick plywood is best. The vertical can be a 2x4. You can consider a 1x4 too, if you want it less “stable”. Think of the flat as your “base”, and tipping off that will change with the width.

But I think a 2x4 is a great option. Plenty thick for screws, and the typical radius on the ends works well.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the detailed reply! If I’m using the balance pods (haven’t ordered them yet) with the 2x4, will the plywood deck still be resting on the pods and the 2x4? In other words, are the balance pods about 4" high as well to match the height of the 2x4? Thanks again!

Depends on the actual height of the pods. The 2x4 will be 3.5" tall, so that is one data point. You can always shim the 2x4 to make it taller, it needed.

1 Like

Ideally I’d like the top deck to be resting on the pods and 2x4 equally if possible. I think I’d rather be resting on the pods and then the weight of the trainer and bike will smush the pods down to rest nicely on the 2x4. It seems like the initial balance would be better that way. It looks like the pods I’m considering are 3.5" high which would be equal to the 2x4 - might work pretty well! I don’t think I’d like it any higher than 3.5".

1 Like

That is a really cool setup. I can imagine that has a great feel to it. smart.

Thanks! Comfort wise it is a little better than just side to side tilt only. But I still haven’t found my goldilocks saddle for my trainer setup so it just helps makes thing a bit more tolerable.

I was thinking of going the rollerblade wheels route or using conveyor roller bearings to add the fore/aft movement but decided against it only because using my old rollers didn’t require buying any more parts. Just only time to work out the concept and to make the modifications to set it up.

1 Like

Inspired by lots of great ideas in this thread I went from trainerless and clueless about both trainers and rocker plates to with trainer and with rocker plate over the last few weeks.

Here’s v1.0 just testing dimensions and function with this as it’s just cut from some mdf I had laying around. I made pockets for the ribbed arches in my plans but forgot to change the dimensions to accommodate the thicker mdf I was cutting the test from so the pockets on the top were supposed to be on the bottom. Details. Also seems I could have made the ball holes slightly smaller in diameter but the function of the balls seems good.

First ride tomorrow.

5 Likes

That looks really nice and well made.

Can’t wait to here your feedback after the ride. :smiley:

Thanks, I cheat a bit like some others in the thread. I let the computers do the heavy lifting.

With any luck I can help out some locals with some options in the city for these rocker plates as I see shipping costs are prohibitive.

3 Likes