Road tubeless experiences

I have to say I’m loving the feel, and security, of tubless + inserts for racing. However, on non-race day weekends I tend to head out for longer spins. With the inserts, I could probably get home (or within range of a lift), however, is there a plug option for higher pressures? Dynaplug Pro? What’s the user experience? Thanks

My friend who does a lot of racing uses the Dynaplug Pro and it seems to work for him. I’ve got the original dynaplug, mainly because when I wanted one it was available next day, sod’s law I haven’t used it yet 1/4 of a year later. There that’s me hexed my self now :joy: The original one is a bit wider and plastic, if I was ordering again I would probably wait and go for the more solid and sleek Pro.

1 Like

I’ve used road tubeless for years but never carried a tubeless kit before, I just trusted to
good luck and good sealant… I too bought a Dynaplug (Racer Pro), back in September 2022, carried it ever since without using it.

This week had my first tubeless puncture that wouldn’t seal (GP5000 S TR), commuting in London on my race bike ahead of a Tuesday night crit. Pulled out the Dynaplug and it worked, so simple. I topped up tyre pressure at work and then raced on the plugged tyre that evening, I’d never have known the difference. Didn’t bother trimming the plug or anything.

I’m impressed. I will top up sealant and intend to change the tyre but knowing me it will take me a while to get round to it…

3 Likes

I think my mates said they have continued to use their tyres and looking on the web that seems to be right.

1 Like

Yes, on the recommendation of someone here, I used dynaplug - made a big dofference vs the bacon strips, which just slowly squirted out from the pressure.

1 Like

I practiced with bacon strips in the garage, and a year later am still cleaning sealant off the cabinets :rofl: It wasn’t slow, the bacon strip shot out like a cannon ball and sealant was spraying everywhere. Good times!

2 Likes

Mine took 2 weeks. Every ride I look down and think “gee…could have sworn the bacon strip had worn off.”

2 weeks later it’s completely out and I’m leaking sealant all over on my ride again :joy:

1 Like

Noticed some extra grime on the seat post after my ride today and realized it was sealant. Ummm how did this get here? No idea when I punctured.

After some cleaning I found where it looks like the leak was. I lost maybe 3 psi? Should I just leave the tire as is?

Sealant is a fresh dose of Silca Fiber Foam. Seems like it did it’s job! Thinking I will add a bit of the replenisher.

3 Likes

Hard to tell, that could just be Road pick-up stuck to the tyre, try flicking it off?

Most of (but not all) the dried up sealant from my 25mm road rear tire :astonished:

1 Like

:open_mouth:

Crazy! What sealant?

cafelatex by effeto mariposa, it seals really well though

1 Like

Almost looks like cookie dough!

1 Like

How many ml of sealant did you install during the first round?
How many top offs occurred after that?

2 Likes

I never know exactly, the sealant foams so I err on the side if caution and inject probably too much. The tire this was from I had a lot of trouble getting it to keep pressure so I probably added more and because it got 2 larger punctures that required plugs I probably topped up a few times more

Heat gun to seal the end and then that Muc-Off sticker.

Now to see if they hold air….

1 Like

I got my new bike on dec 2021. came with tubeless. it is aug 2023 now. not a single puncture. mileage is 4000km though…

1 Like

A good week for me is 321 km, close to 10% of your 18 month total….

i have 3 bikes. i switch between them…