Racing in 2021, things seem 🔥🔥🔥

The efficacy rate doesn’t bother me because I know any vaccine prevents death/hospitalization, so while I’m more likely to get COVID after JNJ vs the others, it would be a mild reaction at worst. What I’m not comfortable with are all of the cases where it’s been pulled and reintroduced in various countries and some seem to still be debating whether to offer it or not.

Combined with the 3 people I know who work at J&J who could have gotten it through work but went out of their way to get MRNA/PFE for themselves and their families, it’s not something I’m willing to run out and rush to get for a race. If I start the MRNA/PFE process now I should be clear in time for the June 19 event, but meeting deadlines for the race is not a key concern for me, rather not wanting to take something I feel is subpar for the above reasons.

/offtopic

The few road races I’ve done have been nothing more than what I seem to experience in the beginning of every season.

2 Likes

Just got a follow up email. So apparently if you’re fully vaxxed you get a wristband and can race without a mask. If you’re not, you have to race with a mask. However if you tell them you have a medical condition and can’t wear a mask, they can’t ask for proof and have to give you a wristband anyway.

Seems like a lot of nonsense considering anyone can just opt out of wearing a mask anyway.

Yeah I was kind of wondering if bc 19 was my first year if I had some selective memory. But i have the advantage of racing the same race early in 2019 and this year the avg speed was 1.5 mph faster for me (pack finish both times) and I put out 70 more watts normalized this year. I’ll be interested to see how that changes as the year wears on too. Interestingly enough this year was much smoother too, much less surging. Only dropped below 26 3 times, while the 19 race had a lot of dips down to 21/22 then hard accelerations

Edit: there were also about 1/2 the racers too in 19 so that’s probably the biggest factor right there.

1 Like

At the risk of beating this dead horse further, you have a 99.9999% chance of NOT having any adverse effects (and likely even higher than that since all documented cases involve women so far). You have a higher risk of having an adverse reaction to Tylenol than you do to the J&J vaccine.

I have a history of blood clots, and were I not already vaxxed, I would take the J&J shot without a second’s hesitation right now.

3 Likes

Yes, probably this for both speed and nervous behavior especially if the course favors being up front.

Come down south and race. Georgia, NC, SC, & Florida have a ton of races going on. There a few popping up locally for me as well in Virginia and Ohio

1 Like

I think this is it: especially in CO. I’m one of those as I can voluntarily upgrade but want to get my legs back before going to 3. Though, I didn’t really train at all last year once everything was canceled. Traveled and hit up a bunch of places for mtb in CO/Utah.

NoCo Crit was pretty fast. The nature of the course made it hard to really sit-in. Louisville will be interesting. There’s already over 50 signed up. Used to be a tail gunner’s paradise, but not sure now with how everyone is racing. It’s almost like a Zwift race. Racing has def changed since 2019.

Ohhh so your one of the ones ripping my legs off in sm4? :rofl::rofl:

In 2019 probably haha.

I’m a bit off from where I was in 2019. My w/kg is about the same, but overall fitness/endurance is lacking for sure. Cobb was my first race back and that was pretty tough. I’ve only done NoCo since and I def was up there early to make it hard before the two went off for the break and I eventually popped midway through. I know the people who are ready to upgrade. The person who solo’d down at Fountain RR is a close friend - he’s cat 1 cx and mtb who is doing road just to race as there isn’t much on the calendar right now for mtb. Another just upgraded to 3 and I think a few after Louisville are going to upgrade. I just want one podium before bumping up hahah

Haha ahh yes I didn’t do Noco but i was at all of fountain, Cobb and pueblo RR