Question about hydration packs for MTB

Was it the 2L Crux that you fit into the Chase? No issues?

https://www.camelbak.com/en/drinkware/R04008--Crux_2L_Reservoir?color=eba5e1389e7c43e2804e7505cf6941ec

Yup, that’s the one. I cut off the very top plastic “T” shaped part of the cover to make it easier to close, but it’s not necessary.
26%20PM

1 Like

Based on the experiences noted here, I picked up an USWE Outlander 2L. I’ll first say the design utterly nails the minimalist requirement and it’s so comfortable I forgot about it. That said, the bladder that comes with the pack is woeful. Trying to get the “static coupling” inserted well…didn’t. Even after a couple of us kept trying to force it. Even worse is that USWE sells hydration bladders that have quick release couplings but of course aftermarket. I’ll probably return it and go back to Osprey or perhaps the Chase referenced in this thread. :exploding_head:

The Airborne 3’s bladder comes with the quick release coupling, so it’s not only available aftermarket. I bought mine this summer and it came stock. Not sure whether it’s a recent update or if they only do that with certain packs.

I’m really happy with my USWE for biking, but I have numerous Osprey packs for hiking and skiing (and one that I have used for longer rides), and they definitely make a solid pack.

1 Like

I was speaking to the point that the Outlander only comes with the stupid static coupling bladder. That aside, your advice is welcome: returning the Outlander and getting the Airborne, especially given I really liked the fit and feel.

I wasn’t sure when you got your pack and whether including the quick release coupling on the bladder was a new change or specific to the Airborne. I really like the Airborne, and if you like the USWE harness system, that could be a nice replacement option. It really nails the minimalist approach, and I also like the fit and the harness stabilization. I don’t think getting an Osprey is a bad route either though if you’d prefer to go in a different direction. I don’t find they have that same stabilization for biking, but they’re well-made packs.

2 Likes

I use the camelbak hydrapak. It’s a minimalist pack that holds 1.5L. Sits high enough on your back where you can still access jersey pockets. And is low profile enough where you can put a rain jacket over it.

It’s strap system does not look as secure as the USWE, but I have had no problems with it moving about.

I considered the USWE also, but a few things steered me to the camelbak - would be interested to hear feedback from people who have the USWE.

• the reviews of the USWE bladder say it’s hard to open, close and fill. This would be a problem for races where I want to refill quickly.
  • the strap and buckle on the front look almost too constricting for hot rides, and make it harder to unzip your jersey. I do a lot of climbing, so want to be easily able to adjust my jersey.
  • looks like the buckle might sit on top of an HRM, which would be uncomfortable, and affect the functioning of the HRM.

The camelbak works fine on these fronts.

4 Likes

I always found Camelbak bladders to be a PITA to close properly without leaking personally and haven’t had the same issues with the USWE bladder, as they are definitely different styles of closure, so this might be a case of different strokes for different folks. The USWE bladder I have is a standard Hydrapak style top open that seals with a plastic slider. I haven’t tried refilling in a race scenario, but it’s been easy enough to fill for regular rides when I’m at home. I think you could probably use a different bladder that’s the right size if you already own one and decide you don’t like the USWE bladder though.

The harness system might make it a little harder to unzip a jersey. I honestly haven’t had too many instances to test that out.

The harness buckle doesn’t sit uncomfortably on or interfere with my HR monitor, but being female, I’m not sure whether it sits differently on a guy’s chest versus a girl’s, so YMMV.

2 Likes

I have a number of Camelbaks and also an USWE Airborne 2 (2 liter bladder).

The Airborne 2 is my go to back now for rides under 3 hours. Opening and closing is pretty easy IF you know how it works, otherwise it could definitely be an issue in a race if someone was assisting you and wasn’t familiar with it (ie. neutral aid). I wore it in Leadville but only for Columbine climb, so didn’t have to refill it along the way.

I’ve found the buckle very comfortable. No issues when I tried it with a TICKR strap, but now I usually don’t wear a HR strap and you a Whoop on biceps. Jersey unzipping is ok, but you can run into the buckle if you want to unzip a lot. On hot days climb I usually just unzip down to the buckle, but if you like to go further I could see this needing an extra step.

2 Likes

I used the USWE Airborn recently for the Marji Gesick 100. Actually I swapped out at each of my stops between the USWE and my Osprey. I wore a HR monitor the entire time and I never once thought it was uncomfortable or knew it was there.

Regarding the USWE being more difficult to unzip the jersey, I’d say it’s about the same as getting around any chest strap and I don’t think it’s an issue unless you’re constantly zipping and unzipping your jersey. The USWE is very easily adjusted with side velcro straps to make the vest tighter/looser.

The new USWE bladders have a detachable tube bladder that makes it easier to get in and out of the pack. They operate the same as Osprey bladders, so no issues with functionality. I do think their hoses are too long and I don’t prefer the 45 degree angled bite valve. I think it makes it more difficult to align the magnetic contact on the chest strap and it never seems to be at the correct angle when I go to drink.

I made comments above recommending the Chase pack, but now I rather prefer the USWE. They’ve made some improvements on the Airborn in the newest version that make the pack even better. That being said, it’s a minimalist pack and not much room for anything else but your water.

2 Likes

I love my USWE and won’t be going back, but you’re right that the slider is difficult, to say the least. It takes serious effort to pull it full closed. Enough so that I worry about tearing the bladder.

You’re also right that it could get in the way of your zipper. I wear mtb pullover jerseys, so that never occurred to me. Having said that, if you don’t need to zip all the way to the top, mine connects about 4 fingers above my sternum, just above nipple height.

The straps do not sit on your HRM. I wouldn’t worry about that at all.

1 Like

USWE recommends to lubricate the O-ring on the connector periodically. Has any done this and what did you use? I was thinking of using something like coconut oil which would be safe to ingest if some got into contact with mix.

Most brewshops sell food safe lubricant for this sort of thing. $2 to $3 dollars a tube.
Odorless, tasteless and non toxic.

1 Like

I recently came across a marked down Thule Vital 8 backpack and deciced to give it a go. I have previously tried some packs from camelbak, Osprey and Salomon and found them all good, but still lacking some in one or the other department. One of my requirements is the ability to stash food and gels in pockets in the hip-belt or easily accessible in pockets on the side of the pack. The other requirements are; low-rider, so the hip belt takes most of the weight and separate compartment for my phone, and inside pockets/compartments for tools and a outside stash-pocket for jacket, gloves, buff etc.
The Thule pack is the first pack I have tried that meets all of this criteria. The Osprey Raptor also looks tho fulfill most of these requirements but I havent tested it.

I simply love my Thule pack. It stays put in both singletrack and for gravel-riding. The hip pockets (which looks weird and not functional) is both secure for holding stuff and easily accessible with cold, gloved fingers. The magnetic holder for the hose is far better than any other patent I have tried. Recommended

I do think the Uswe system looks functional, but as prefer a low riding pack with hip-pockets they do not really meet my requirements.

With regards to bladders I tend to use my bladders across all of my packs. I always change to the camelbak valve though, as i like it to be drip free while also able to give me water without sucking a vacuum for a minute.

Yeah, what I love about the USWE is that it keeps the weight high. It definitely wouldn’t work for you.

The benefits to USWE and Chase is that it sits high and you still have access to your jersey pockets.

1 Like

I have one, the bladder is fine. I don’t see what anyone would complain about to be honest. I bought a spare bladder to be able to have a frozen option and both work fine.

For your other 2 comments I agree. The strap is just not a great design and it’s very poorly placed. The pack is constrictive in terms of unzipping your jersey and if you do it’s going to rub your chest or the HRM all day. When it gets hot I have to unclip it so it kind of defeats the purpose of their design but it’s a better option for me in the end.

1 Like

The chest strap on the camelbak is very minimalist. Easy to navigate the zipper around.

The strap system is not as secure as the USWE, but when the pack is only carrying 1.5L, it doesn’t need to be.

I’ve avoided using a pack for racing as I’ve been doing shorter events with aid stations, one bottle cage worked for that. Historically when I have run hydration packs I would use lumbar / horizontal Style bladders to keep the weight low, not high. Last pack in use was a camelback charge. It’s pretty beat now and I’m considering a new pack for some longer riders and racers this year. I’m intrigued by USWE but kind of surprised they don’t seem to offer something similar. Their take seems to be the opposite - keep the weight higher and offer access to jersey pockets. The camelback lumbar designs offer accessible zipper pockets you can access while riding.

Hm?
Has anyone had experience with both designs? Everyone using the USWE seems to love them, anyone try one that didn’t like it? Going back to a vertical bladder seems a tough sell for me. I’m looking for a minimal 1.5 liter pack for racing. I’ve enjoyed the feeling of the lumbar horizontal bladder designs, but perhaps the USWE is just as good if not better.

End of the day all packs suck, just trying to find the one that’s the least uncomfortable. :+1:

I used to be a bottle guy but in 2019 moving up in Cat the races became longer requiring more than a single bottle. So I relented and moved over to the USWE packs. I wouldn’t say USWE is the most comfortable out there, but its comfortable enough, a minimalist design and it just plain stays put and doesn’t bounce or loosen as the bladder empties. I also like the access to the jersey pockets to get to gels and other quick supplies.

If you dislike backpacks in general I don’t think an USWE pack is gonna change your mind. However, if you’re needing to move to a backpack and/or you felt a hip pack (horizontal) had some limitations, I’d say give USWE a try. Otherwise you’re probably better off to sticking to a design you know you like.

2 Likes