PSA for those using Elite Fly bottles

I’m going to spare you a picture but if you’re using Elite Fly water bottles please be sure to fully remove the tip when cleaning. As far as I knew the tip could not be removed from the main cap part (it didn’t come off when pulled). I religiously cleaned the bottle and top, running water through, using soap, scrubbing, etc. Everything looked squeaky clean.

Then I learned you can pull the tip off if you pull hard enough… OMG it was beyond disgusting with mold. It was the sort of thing nightmares are made of.

1 Like

You don’t run them through the dishwasher?

Even running them through the dishwasher (which I do) there is no way to get under or reach under the lip. You have to pull it apart to really clean them…

1 Like

Oh. Well now i’m scared to look!

1 Like

Just checked, all clean. I rotate 12 and run them through the dishwasher 1-2 times / week.

1 Like

12! I think that may have saved you.

I use 2 and use them 3-4 times per week with 75-100g per bottle.

I don’t have the elites but I have yanked out the tops of my trek and polar water bottles. I have a dedicated set of long handle brushes and straw cleaners because I’ve also come across some nasty bits in there. If I had a dishwasher I’d run them in there too, but nothing like taking them apart and really getting in there.

Yep, discovered this years ago. I will never again buy bottles that don’t have removable caps.

I don’t have any Fly bottles (since the one I had suffered an ejection from an Elite Custom cage and was never seen again…)

But by coincidence I saw an ad for this just yesterday

https://www.elite-it.com/en/products/water-bottles/storage-cases-and-accessories/neto