PSA: Check your Wahoo Kickr freehub for grease

I just received a replacement Kickr Core that was a refurb unit and after the first ride on it noticed the freehub was rather loud. So using GPLama’s video, I took apart the freehub body to inspect the pawls. What I found rather shocked me: the entire freehub was bone dry. Like it was just bare metal and my fingers were clean after inspecting the whole assembly. So after greasing everything I tested it out and was back to smooth and quiet training. Whomever is refurbishing Wahoo’s trainers are letting them down and it’s kind of sad.

1 Like

If you contact Wahoo I’m sure that they will be gratefull, having a contractor that does a shitty job could tarnish their reputation.

2 Likes

Let me add a fork here for another brand trainer: CHECK YOUR TACX NEO SMART BIKE HUB FOR RUST! (and grease).

Got a full replacement, and it started skipping. Took it apart, and the pawls were RUSTED and most were occasionally sticking in. Yeah. Interesting that the Wahoo bike I had appeared to pay their assemblers by the ounce of grease used, and the Tacx had essentially none.

(Oh, you need the tool to release the tension on the drive belt before you can remove it. If it seems unstable, check it before you hurt yourself. (I drove my knee into a bar end))