Pro Road Racing thread 2021 (spoilers)

What´s with the hate for Froome? Dude´s one of the most successful GT riders of all time and broke a whole lot of bones 2 years ago. He deserves some attention.
Obviously he is not a contender in any race this year, and he conceded as much, but it is still interesting to follow his recovery.

2 Likes

or any year :laughing: … No hate, it’s all good.

2 Likes

I hate the way he lies. He keeps saying he’s getting better with every altitude camp when the truth is he keeps getting worse. But that’s to be expected at his age. He “aint” no Valverde, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

I think the worst thing that has happened to him is the way the announcers constantly talk about him like he’s still 2018 Froome. He does not talk about himself that way, even his team no longer talks about him that way.

That doesn’t stop nearly every announcer from talking about him like he’s there to compete and win. Everyone except the announcers seems to understand he isn’t the same rider any longer but their constant talking about him as if he’s a GC contender has created these false narratives.

I assume the people posting hate on him in this thread are responding to the announcers more than anything else, although I don’t know.

Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of his, but that’s mostly because I always like to root for the underdogs and basically anyone on Ineos can’t have that status for long. Nothing for or against him personally - I actually like him more now than I did pre-crash but I have no real expectation that he will ever get back to GT winning form

2 Likes

Do they really talk about him much? I’ve only really noticed them mention him when the camera shows him dropping off the back. Then they go back to the rest of the race. They don’t seem to dwell on him.

2 Likes

Yes, they spend more time on him than any other non-contender, and more than many of the contenders

For me it has not been helped by the brutal commentary team assembled by NBC Sports instead of letting us hear the feed with Ant McCrossan as we have in year’s past.

1 Like

Makes me wonder what they intend to do for the tour - I wouldn’t object to paying for Peacock plus or whatever to get the tour coverage, but if I have to deal with the US announcers I might go down the VPN path :frowning:

That was your first mistake :wink:

I assume they’ll have Bob and Phil again. I enjoy Phil but find Bob to be difficult to listen too. Hopefully they’ll also still have the ad free feed which solves that problem and the problem of the horrible infomercial ads they showed last year.

:man_shrugging: no other option here in the US from what I can tell. GCN+ seems to have it blocked here.

They’ve always had the Ant feed available as well (online) - so I haven’t had to suffer through the US commentators for years

VPN solves this

I’m also in the US, but use GCN with a VPN, because I absolutely refuse to pay/listen to that NBC garbage. GCN is pretty cheap, and you can also find some very cheap VPNs that will work for this purpose.

He’s not Colombian. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Phil needs to be put out to pasture (long past his expiration date) and Roll is a buffoon.

That said, NBCSports Gold has always had a commercial-free feed with Robbie McEwen and (I think) Matthew Keenan. Excellent commentary, no commercials and most importantly, no Phil & Bob.

1 Like

When the NBC Chuckleheads started acting all surprised when Froome dropped off the back I just shook my head and put them on mute. Anybody that’s paid any attention to cycling this year knows that he’s in terrible form and a shell of the rider he once was.

The big surprise is how Valverde keeps hanging around!

This is not a surprise to anyone who has paid any attention to cycling for the past ten years :wink:

1 Like

Really? I keep seeing quotes from him where he says he’s come back to win his 5th Tour de France title. He’s milking the cash cow at this point and not being honest. I’d take 5 million per year too if someone would pay me to get dropped every race. But please quit all the 5th Tour de France win talk.

1 Like

Are you saying it’s wrong for pro athletes to have goals or are you saying they shouldn’t answer media questions about them? Seems an odd thing to get offended about.

He just seems dishonest about his “training numbers” and that he’s ready to “step it up a level”.

1 Like

but maybe he is or at least that’s what he needs to believe to help him through his recovery and try to achieve his goals? ‘dishonest’ is a pretty brutal label to throw at anyone.