Pro/Elite training

It is for every pro :slight_smile: if you take avg power output of average pro rider and look when the winning efforts are done you need be able to push the power after a lot of kJ. ISM underlined this ability when discussing Tadej (ok maybe bad example as we talk about GT rider but proves the point) that probably many cyclist can match his numbers when fresh, but his real ability is to push them when tired.

And there is 20 min session when tired as it checks exactly this - how your numbers change after certain kJ. It is also build into the WKO and many couches do this as part of the training (not every session of course). It is also great mental excercise.

1 Like

Ehhh no. It is Fatigue Resistance (or a shifted TTE w/e you wanna call it), but just doing the ‘work’ later in the session doesn’t make you any better at doing work after having ridden. I think that’s a common fallacy, though. Doing intervals later in a workout is great way to test that FR, but I see no way how it would improve that number from a physiologic standpoint. Psychological maybe. There is just no mechanism that would prove that doing work after XXX kjs burned alters the work after the fact.

I think the point of this is testing how much power a rider can produce after x kJ then adjusting training accordingly to improve it…I agree just riding hard at the end of a ride doesn’t necessarily improve anything.

1 Like

definitely for some or many! Good story in this webinar:

skip the first 4 minutes to go directly to the story.

That is holy mother of God next level insane.

TrainerRoad should make one of those up and see if anyone ever completes it!

Coincedently a new one just appeared but on Matteo Jorgenson, very interesting read again

2 Likes

Adam Hansen on how he trained for grand tours

Adam Hansen Interview: Grand Tours, Cross Training, Intermittent Fasting, Carbs, Tour of Turkey - YouTube

For sure - I was responding to a comment about how Pro’s are able to unleash such good efforts at the end of a long day in the saddle, using the above mentioned article as an example of what metrics Pro’s care about (FR).

3 Likes

April - Sepp Kuss

There is really a clear shift to more intensity. Across the board (with the exception of distinct recovery rides), e.g. endurance at a higher intensity, plenty of tempo, not just more high end intensity. And (almost) no racing. Interesting.

6 Likes

Next few days will be interesting, Jumbo-Visma in altitude camp. Plenty of riders post their rides, this should allow to get an idea on how Roglic prepared for the TdF

Gesink, the last two days are in the camp. Taking into account the effect of altitude this is plain riding at AeT for acclimatisation

or Kuss

or Hofstede

4 Likes

so it seems like a lot of sweetspot/tempo?

no, this seems right at AeT so far (w/r to the training camp)

3 Likes

today more climbing at tempo

Altitude training camp

1: climbing @ AeT
2: climbing @ AeT
3: easy day
4: climbing @ Tempo

3 Likes

not sure if there were some tests in the beginning, a lot of standing around after those efforts. I simply book it as endurance/tempo with stuff

5: endurance/tempo with stuff

4 Likes

long endurance day at AeT/tempo and low altitude.

6: long endurance/tempo (low altitude)

1 Like

new bike & rest day

6: long endurance/tempo (low altitude)
7: easy day

1 Like

For some context, this is from Wiggins biography. Some of it will apply to JV’s camp as well.

grafik

so far JV’s camp is more like the first Sky camp.

4 Likes

5 Likes