Pre/post CPAP performance

Great little topic, and my first forum contribution.

I’ve been a CPAP user for the past year and 5 months. I’ve had sleep apnea since…well a long time. I’ve had LAUP, Uvula reshaping surgery twice, that was back almost 20 years ago. A septoplasty, as well. These did not really help.
I’m 58 years old, 6 feet tall and now weigh 190lbs. Used to be 240lbs, prior to cycling. Started cycling seriously, that is, participating in events such as centuries, gran fondos and group riding about 4 years ago. I still feel like a rookie though, but I do put in the miles and have ridden some bucket list places.
My AHI was diagnosed at >41, so yeah, I was not getting restful sleep. The biggest thing I’ve noticed with the CPAP therapy is the not feeling foggy in the morning, the main issue I used to have, as well as not feeling so tired. I’ll now wake up a little bit sore, mostly from a workout I may have had the day before, but after a roll or stretch, I’m ready to go.

I cannot really say I had an improvement with my blood pressure though as I’m on meds for that ( 40mg of Lisiniprol ) which has been recently updated…in other words I’ve always had high BP, and I believe it’s hereditary, as I was never able to knock it down with my uptick of cycling.
I will say that I do feel an improvement in my cycling routine. I usually put in 12 -15 hours a week, either outdoors or indoors, but really can’t say that my sleep quality has fully contributed. I’m not sure why my body does this, but I only get around 6 - 6.5 hours consistently. On the odd occasion I get 7 - 8, man, that’s the optimum…but it’s a bit rare. Not sure why. One other bi-product of CPAP therapy is that I rarely need to get up in the middle of the night to go to restroom, even though I’ve been diagnosed with BPH. I used to all the time before CPAP, as well as waking up sweating. That’s probably when I was gasping for air.
In any case, you have to be patient with the mask and find the right fit. I do recommend getting a good pillow though.

2 Likes

I guess I should follow up on this incase anyone comes across it…

Having been on a cpap machine for 5-6 months, it’s been going really well. It’s hard to know how much weight the cpap machine has given to improved performance when there’s so many other factors changing throughout the year, like issues earlier in the season such as over-reaching and then under-eating and losing too much weight (it was a sucky season).

One thing that stood out for me was ramp tests. They’ve always resulted in an ftp of around 10-15w less than when performing a 20 minute test (which is weird seeing I have good VO2 numbers in my power profile for outdoor rides/races). After using the cpap machine I think that margin between ramp tests and 20 minute tests closed up a little. This can kind of make sense seeing proper sleep can improve performance in high intensity work. I can’t definitively say that it’s the better sleep, but it could be.

I found myself more motivated to train. This didn’t last too long seeing I was on the verge of burnout when I started using it and I inevitably did burnout due to the mess that last year was with my training.

I couldn’t ever really consider training in the morning at 5am before work, because just no, but that’s what I was doing once using the machine. Again, maybe I got used to it, or maybe it was the machine?

I guess if I look at the overall picture and peak race performance at the end of last year after training while being on the machine for a couple of months, I’ve outright had my best numbers I’ve ever seen. Xert was predicting an ftp of around 335w after each race, and then I backed it up with a solid 20 minute test outside and came away with an ftp of 333w. The prior season I topped out at 325w.

During a race I produced a 15 minute NP that was equal to what would be about 8-10 minutes the season before. It’s safe to say that I improved greatly across my power profile.

So yeah…the machine has helped. And I’m looking forward to what a whole season of training while using a cpap machine can do. Sans over-reaching and then also under-eating. Don’t do that. It’s bad.

1 Like

I want to add an addendum to my reply above and a real helpful tip that I got from @Nate_Pearson a few days ago. I’m a mouth breather, even though I had a septoplasty and LAUP (uvula reshape) previously, I still breathe through my mouth at night. I’m also a tooth grinder (wearing a mouth guard for that)…yes, I was blessed with a lot of BS in the nasal sinus world. One of the big problems was that I have not had consistent mask seal and would have leaks in around 50 - 60L/min. I tried chin straps, tape (more on that later), and even a full mask which I did not like at all, without success.
Nevertheless, Nate posted a pic on his instagram feed and I noticed he has the same CPAP machine, but with that wonderful happy face icon for mask seal. I believe he mentioned that he was having similar problems as I did on either a thread or on the podcast…can’t remember, but I asked him what he used for his success.

Nate recommended 3" (7.62cm) 3M tape to keep the mouth sealed. I’ve been using 2" prior. So I tried this three nights ago. The first night 45L/min. Good but not great, but I also have a goatee. Shaved that off, then I tried again and felt I had a good seal. 26L/min…Wow! what a drop and I felt really good…plus I got more than 7 hours of sleep. Last night I got 31L/min. Felt pretty good in the morning.

Nate’s recommendation for that width of tape is something to consider if you mouth breathe when using nasal pillows or nasal mask.

1 Like

I wanted to post an update to my CPAP treatment as I made some progressive changes since I last posted, and hopefully this helps anyone who starts CPAP treatment.
First, I recommend this forum to stay informed, and also to have your questions and data checked. Really knowledgeable advisory members and will help you dial in your machine settings to get optimum treatment.
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-Main-Apnea-Board-Forum

They recommend using the software called OSCAR, which has more detail and metrics than the apps provided by the CPAP manufacturer. Since this Trainer Road group is data driven, to reach cycling perfection, this software helps analyze, understand and ultimately reach CPAP optimization and perfection.

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

After months of dealing with 3M tape, I switched to a tape called Leukoplast Cover Roll. This really covers the mouth and creates a good seal…at least for me. I’ve bounced between nasal pillows, and nasal mask, working well with both. It’s nice that I do have an option and have great outcomes.
I’ve also used full face masks, but have had poor results as I get too much leakage. There are some solutions, but for me not as well as using tape.

Anyway, thought I’d put this up here for anyone that’s considering CPAP.
As far as performance on the bike, unfortunately I’ve had to dial down my training as personal life has gotten in the way. So I’m not even sure where I stand on that, but I do try to get out there at least three times a week…better overall mental health.

1 Like

Anyone else get hosed by the Phillips recall? I definitely feel training is much harder without my cpap. :triumph::sob:

I’ve registered but haven’t heard anything since. What’s the go with it? Are they repairing or replacing?

Part of the reason I went with Phillips was because they would replace the machine with a new one for any warranty issues. Apparently anyway. But I’m guessing it might be different for a world wide issue lol.

Yeah from what little information I could find out they don’t have an approved fix yet and they are not communicating well at all. For how much these machines cost they really are not providing good service.

I’d hate to imagine the logistics of a worldwide recall lol.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-News-RECALL-THREAD-IMPORTANT-PHILIPS-DREAMSTATION-SYSTEM-ONE-USERS?page=131

Lengthy post on the Apnea forum. Luckily I got a Resmed machine.

Anyone affected by the recall might want to looking into DIY repairs. Check youtube and cpap forums. The basic problem is that this sound deadening foam can break down over time and be inhaled.

On my machine, the foam can easily be removed in 10-15 minutes and then the machine could be used normally. Other machines unfortunately would need parts.

Ohhh interesting. I’ll take a look. Thanks for the tip!

Another quick update if using tape. The Leukoplast I recommended up thread is a bit more sticky than I liked. So I’ve switched to BSN cover roll tape, which can be found on Amazon. Works great.
I’m using the 4" width as it stabilizes my jaw from dropping.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015TG63U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Depending on the reason for the recall, you probably want to replace it. Many were recalled for cancer causing foam that can degrade over time.