PowerMatch Experiences

Can you link the ride, please? @alhan

Fantastic, thanks Nate.

Will look into this!

Thanks for sharing this workout and I understand your frustration. This is exactly the type of issue that we set out to solve.

We’ve had a chance to review the ride and were unable to find any logging that is specific to New PowerMatch (or Legacy for that matter). That is a challenge we are having with diagnosing the issue. We will be looking into why logging was not working properly in this case.

When inspecting the way that PowerMatch behaved (how the offset was being corrected), it looked a lot like how Legacy PowerMatch behaves. Is there any chance that this was done on Legacy, by accident? If not, then this is very strange and I will follow-up directly with you to get to the bottom of the issue.

• Silly question, from a non-programmer, but is there any chance you can send and capture the TR app version info into the ride file, so you will always know exactly which app and version is in use?

• Presumably, if you add it for the current apps, and don’t bother with the legacy app, you will at least have a “non” or something to identify the old stuff, along with the precise info from new apps.

Hi Kellen, thanks for taking the time to send this and describe your experience. I don’t blame you for wanting to have a good experience for a 5h15 ride!

This is a good example of why sample size is so important when testing. We didn’t come across anyone on this exact setup (SRM+Kickr) and that might be part of what caused this. We have a static threshold for how much to correct the offset by in one fell swoop and, in this case, the offset was moving above and below that threshold. When it moved above that threshold, we weren’t correcting quickly enough and so you experienced the poor power matching behavior. We’ve only seen offsets this large when testing on rollers with power.

Next: we will need to refine this aspect of the feature. Again, thank you for submitting this and we will be in touch via DM when it makes sense to give new Power Match another go.

2 Likes

Hi Chad, we have the version info in the ride log, which Support have access to, but, in this atypical case, we are missing the output from the PowerMatch feature, which would be telling us what version it is. That is a problem in itself that we will need to look at.

1 Like

Nice. Not surprising you guys already had that covered :wink:

1 Like

Is there anyway, after the fact, that I can tell if it was done in legacy or new from my side?

No, unfortunately not. This is a strange case of the log file missing some information. Otherwise, we’d be able to easily say which version you were on.

“The last 10% of development takes about 90% of the time” - Some smart software developer

3 Likes

Awesome insight! Thank you Alhan :slight_smile: … for what it’s worth, I did a couple of easy 1-hr rides this week (“Recess”), SRM+Kickr (both via Ant+), w/ the new powermatch (and not legacy) and it performed very well. That said, there aren’t any changes in power demand / intervals on such a ride. But, then again, the warm-up where I experienced the fluke w/ my first shot w/ the new version was the same level power demand as “recess.” I will give the new version another solid extended attempt next week and report back! Thanks again, --kellen

wonder if pushing a big gear (54t w 14t cog) and low power (160) could result in high flywheel speed, with very low relative resistance… mimicking more extreme power flux like when riding on rollers?? …I will see what happens at longer SS and Threshold pwr with the new PM version. Knowing that you all are so on-top of making sure this is going to be a great experience for everyone makes experimenting, testing, and reporting back fun and interesting. Much appreciated. --kellen

I am riding indoors for the first time in awhile, and have the latest version of TR on my Windows PC. I have a Quarq PM and a Kickr Snap. I use Standard mode, not ERG, for my workouts, but I switched to use the new PowerMatch even though:

Power Match only ever applies when using ERG mode. At any point when in Resistance or Standard mode (manually selected or workout swapped), the trainer power data is ignored.

What I’ve noticed in my workouts the last two days is that suddenly the resistance seems to be much higher than it used to be. I’m not sure if this is related to powermatch or if there’s something else, but I normally would be riding more in the middle of my cogs for the types of workouts I did yesterday and today, but I found myself using my biggest (easiest) cogs and small chainring. I should have tried out today’s workout with the legacy powermatch for comparison, but I was kind of rushed when I was setting up and just forgot about it until I was partway through, and I didn’t think I could change after already starting the workout. (Maybe that’s wrong?) Anyway, I get the feeling most people use ERG, not Standard mode, but this was what I was finding. More experimenting necessary, but just thought I’d check here to see anyone had other suggestions I should try besides just the powermatch setting.

• Check the “Standard” mode setting you have in use.

• This is visible at the bottom, and roughly left side of the screen, right next to the [Standard] mode setting control.
    • It will be a number from 1-9 for Standard mode.
  • It’s entirely possible that your new TR install defaulted to a setting that is different than what you had set for your prior TR install.

• Ex: If you previously had it set at to something like 1 or 2, and the new install defaulted to something like 3 or 4, it will feel harder, which would lead to needing to use lower gearing (larger rear cogs) to hit the same power.
2 Likes

Thanks, that’s a good point, but I was on the same level in Standard that I had been before. I didn’t decrease it further, although I could have. So that’s why I was jumping to the PowerMatch change because I couldn’t figure out what else was different.

Might be worth an email to support@trainerroad.com then.

I have no reason to believe that PowerMatch setting would affect Standard mode in any way, but maybe there are some gremlins hiding in there?

1 Like

Like you the smoke and air quality drove me inside yesterday. I tried using Wahoo app to set Standard/Level mode, and tried Resistance too, for a 4 sets of 4x15-sec sprint workout. Oddly enough the Kickr direct-drive felt too easy, even at Level 9. Weird. I’ve never been a fan of the Wahoo app but wanted to try it again, so I could recall why I prefer TrainerRoad. I’ll likely be doing the same as you this weekend, and will let you know how it goes with Standard mode (setup a bit different: TrainerRoad on MacBook Pro, Stages LR PM, Kickr 2017 direct-drive).

@mcneese.chad I’m going try a couple more things before contacting support, but I may end up there eventually.

@bbarrera as I look outside and see smoke between the trees (and a water-drop helicopter just flew over the house), I have the feeling I’m going to be indoors for at least another couple of days. Interesting experience that you had with the Wahoo app–I haven’t really tried their app much. I’ll be interested in what you find with TR and your setup.

1 Like