Power meter / Quarq vs Favero Assioma

Hello there guys…

Have anyone of you experienced different readings on L/R on Assioma vs. another powermeter?

When i ride my Trek Emonda SLR with quarq i usually come home with a 50/50 reading - sometimes 49/51 - however when i ride my gravelbike with the assioma dual power pedals, my reading are like 44/56 ect.

Which one is valid im curious…

Quart doesn’t actually measure both sides separately as much as try to estimate balance based on a single strain gauge vs crank rotation.

The Assioma pedals are truly separate strain gauges and in theory totally independent measurements.

Between the two I’d lean on the Assioma being accurate to reflect balance.

4 Likes

I used a Quarq for several years then switched to Assiomas. My L/R balance readings changed too. Since the Quarq does not measure each side independently the balance reading is kind of an educated guess. The Assiomas are actually measuring each side independently so all other things being equal that’s going to be the more accurate reading.

If you haven’t done so already, load some Assioma rides into Garmin Connect and look at the cycling dynamics screen. It will show you some details on power during the pedal stroke which is interesting. I’m sure I am not unique but where and how long I put out effective power during my pedal stroke varies from left and right sides. Not sure what to do about that if anything but it is fun to look at.

I have both powermeters - quarq for gravel and assioma for road. I have occasionally put them both together to compare. I have never experienced anything as wide as the numbers you’re seeing. The largest discrepancy I see on mine is 50:50 quarq and 49:51 assioma duos.

I suspect there may be something else going on but I dont know what. Perhaps @GPLama has any experience of this or thoughts.

You can use the static weight test on Assiomas to compare left/right readings without needing a calibrated weight, and you can easily do this without changing any settings. This can at least tell you if there is something significantly off between the two pedals. Since you are only comparing relative readings, you don’t need a precision weight.

1 Like

As a professor of mine in statistics class used to say, if you got two different answers then at least one of the two is wrong.

1 Like

The same analogy can be applied to religion.