Power Match seems OK but not great - tips and tricks I'm missing?

Update - Tried the suggestion on gearing and that helped a lot. Out of the big ring now and using 34x16 and the power match is more stable. It definitely feels like it responds quicker. The lower fly wheel inertia also helps on the rest intervals as I don’t have to wait as long for the power to drop (it also helps when slowing cadence to stand). The feel is not quite as “road like” as the higher gear but still fine and I stopped noticing it after a few minutes.

Separately, my cadence reading issue got a ton better after a firmware update to the CABLE and the latest TR app update. Both updates ended up being installed at the same time so not sure which one did the trick but there has been a significant improvement. The cadence reading is more responsive and the app will now pause when I stop pedaling whereas before the cadence would “stick” at whatever the last reading was when coasting.

6 Likes

Hey great news, I’m happy to hear that things have improved for you. Training is hard enough without feeling like you’re fighting your setup. Thanks for sharing your experience.

3 Likes

Is there any reason to use power match, when your power meter and trainer reads nearly the same?
I also got a Kickr Core and Favero Assioma pedals and they read basically the same within few watts. But when using power match I feel like the trainer resistance is not quite as consistent, i.e. the correction feels too quick. Especially at some specific cadence & gear and low - tempo power the Kickr flywheel starts “clonking”. Root cause for that is surely the Kickr’s quality issues with imbalanced flywheel and the loose locking pin etc, but I feel like power match is making that worse.

The reason would be to have the same power indoors and out. How do you know your PM and trainer are the same all the time, have you graphed both measuring them separately?

Typically the slopes of each device will be slightly different, meaning that the could be a match at 200 watts, but low at 150 watts and high at 250 watts.

All that being said, my Kickr Snap is surprisingly spot on with my Quarq PM, as I’ve done extensive comparisons, see below link;

I used to never use powermatch because of that. However, I’ve come around and now always use powermatch except for the ramp test. Yes, powermatch feels different at times during workouts compared to the trainer’s Erg, but I feel it closer represents the fluctuations of outdoor riding and I know I have consistent power numbers inside and outdoors.

1 Like