Podcast ex pro cyclist now mitochondria researcher

So can strength training. For reference what supplements are you talking about?

CoQ10 and PQQ.

And, as per the TR podcast, physical training whilst young, but there’s not much most of us can do about that now.

The supplements that seem to have the greatest efficacy ( at least in mouse models)

Curcumin
Nicotinamide riboside

There are others as well that have minimal to no effect in humans. Yet others the side effects are to large or the required dose is very high impracticality high.

Research on Curcumin & NR is relatively young but to the best of my knowledge it’s promising

The Pqq data from some yrs ago seemed soso, but there are several new papers that do show promise

Full points.

From something I read (but failed to record the source material, doh!):

Most improvements in Fatmax will come directly from either 1) increased VO2max or 2) decreased VLaMax.

Training the VLamax is not the same as VO2max. Hard efforts tend to make it go up and long slow distance tends to decrease it. Threshold efforts tend to lower it.

Interestingly, for the same FTP, in terms of FatMax it’s better to have that FTP consist of a lower VO2max and lower VLaMax than to be higher in both of those.

So if Fatmax is an important variable in an athlete’s target events and they are “well-rounded” and can choose between working on VO2max or VLaMax from an FTP-perspective, then the added benefit of improved Fatmax by getting that improved FTP by lowering VLaMax can be seen as a tiebreaker I guess.

Thus, focus on improving FTP by doing Threshold workouts and Fatmax wattage will automatically improve.

There is also a TedTalk given by Inigo that is a good short listen.

I think it depends on the kind of racing/riding you are doing. If crits, then I’d prefer a higher VO2max and higher VLaMax. If marathon MTB, then I’d prefer lower VO2max and lower VLaMax.

1 Like

How long does it take to create new mitochondria? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

For sure, 9 months.

6 Likes

Just read this:

…it was found that EPO activates mitochondria biogenesis through the Akt/eNOS/PGC-1α (Carraway et al., 2010; Qin et al., 2013) and AMPK/PGC-1α (Wang et al., 2013) pathways.

(via https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2019.00435/full#B98)

Guess that’s why all those retired ‘90’s riders still pack a punch.

Your muscles start making new mitochondrial proteins as soon as you finish your workout -possibly even before.

Mitochondrial proteins have a half-life measured in hours. If EPO use has any long-term effect, it would have to be via a different mechanism.