Physics of rollers/rock n roll trainer

Yup, pressure matters a lot when you deform the tire as much as you do with roller tire contact.

1 Like

Got my floating fork stand last Friday and already used it a couple hrs this weekend. I have to say I’m pretty happy with it. It does what it says…rides like something between a roller and a trainer. It’s kind of hard to explain, but it’s like you steer and balance the bike, but you can’t swerve or crash out. It feels right. Somehow it’s got the natural feel of riding but without the part that makes the rollers sketchy sometimes.
There’s detailed ride instructions that came with it, but really all you need to do is keep the bars pointed straight ahead to feel how it balances. It all falls into place pretty quickly after that. When you stand up and pedal harder, you control the tilt by pulling on the bars either more or less, but it definitely can’t tilt the wrong way and there’s no conscious effort to make it work. After the first few minutes the motion just fades into the background and you don’t really notice you’re doing anything except riding. My wife even tried it and took to it fairly quickly. Coming from the floating rollers, we’re both spoiled as far as realistic feel, but we’re thinking this might be better than the rollers.

1 Like

Very cool. When I first saw this design, it seemed backwards as far as lean to steer direction. But as I’ve watched the ride videos and reconsidered it with respect to riding outside, I think it makes a lot of sense. It is a neat design and way to blend motion I to a stable platform.