Pearl Izumi vs The Black Bibs for Shorts & Bibs

I have had good and bad experiences w/ Pearl Izumi…

For many years, they were my go-to brand…this was mostly back in the 90’s when we sold them at the shop I managed and then later when I worked in the industry in CO (not for PI).

In the mid-teens, we used them for our club kit and many of us had issues with chafing from their chamois……we’d get a “quarter moon on our half-moon”, if you follow what I am saying. Some flat out stopped wearing the shorts and binned them.

Around that time, I also got a couple of pairs of their Pro shorts (not team affiliated). Zero problems with those. After a few years, the silicone grippers on one pair totally dried out and made the shorts unwearable. PI had excellent warranty and replaced them, no questions asked.

The replacement pair of Pro shorts were significantly better, as well….improved chamois, laser cut bib straps, etc. They are some of my favorite bibs today, especially for long trainer rides (wore them today for the BMTR Centruy ride on Zwift).

No experience with Black Bibs for their shorts, but I did get their basic black vest last year and it has been very good.

3 Likes