Outside vs Inside workout

I have been using TR for several years and the addition of the outside workout sync’d with my Garmin head is something that changed the way I am training when I go outdoors.
This week while adjusting my training plan I noticed that a workout that suppose to be 4hrs changed to 6hrs when I switched from inside to outside workout ( both are planned to be executed at the same effort levels and TSS).
I think we all agree that in most cases the workout duration of an outside wkos will change slightly since the effort not always matches up what is in the training plan but at the end of the day if you hit the IF and TSS the wko duration can be disregarded correct?
I usually stay within the power range prescribed and by any means I am looking to shave wko time, it is just weird this time around seen that this much increase in wko hrs.
Please help me out here!!

Which work outs? I’m looking for longer outdoor ones myself so interested to see these.

I get what you mean but it’s an equation. You can’t match IF and TSS without completing the duration. Work done is a function of the time and intensity. If you match the TSS in a shorter time then your IF will be higher than you’re aiming for

1 Like

See link below where this topic is covered

1 Like

Longfellow, Kailash, Mianzimu are the wko I was referring to.
Same workout intensity and stress, if you go outside you can hit the same numbers without increasing wko duration by 50%, I am challenging the software calcs for outside wko. I totally understand if you go on a group ride that this probably going to happen but in my case I maintain my IF.
Thanks

Yeah for those longer Z2 workouts then I would just stick to the power targets and go until you hit the TSS. I think those longer (50% longer) times are to account for descending and other times when you can’t stay on target. For me however, I live in Michigan where my longest descent is maybe 2 minutes and I can still pedal in Z2 the whole time. So it definitely doesn’t take 50% more time to hit the TSS target. But if you live somewhere mountainous (Like Reno, NV where TR is based) you probably have a lot more descending where you can’t reasonably pedal at Z2 the whole time.

1 Like

Hey! Im gonna close this thread let this live on where you’ve posted in the original Forum thread for this topic as well:

We want to keep things tidy so that athletes in the future who have similar questions can get the breadth of the information in one thread! You’ll get help there, too! :metal:

1 Like