Outside’s Global Takeover

First I get a notification regarding BikeReg, then emails of the acquisition of Pinkbike, CyclingTips and Trailforks. I assume it’s all for the better and great things to come.

1 Like

Yeah, got a spam slam from them from many angles yesterday. I am not enthusiastic about the Pinkbike side in particular. But those guys have a better handle on the industry BS than most, and I really hope they keep up their good work.

2 Likes

Yes, I was pretty disappointed when they bought CT and Pinkbike. I have been a paid member for a few years, and I count on them for unbiased info and original content. Being owned by Lance, et al., tells me at least some of that goes away. Also, I don’t want to see these sites turn into what happened with CyclingNews, BikeRadar, etc., where they all just post the exact same articles under different names. On the other hand, if they combine full access for a fair price, I could see VeloNews cover racing, CyclingTips cover reviews and advocacy, and Peloton cover lifestyle, just as an example, which might free them all up to focus on a few specific things and generate even better content.

Their reach is massive now Outside Inc.

1 Like

Coincidentally I’ve been working of a group ride rsvp web app and since it’s club based I have the functionality built to collect member dues. I think maybe I should take on Outside/bikereg, at least as far as membership stuff goes lol

1 Like

Holy cow! I’m generally not a fan of a giant conglomerate with different names because, as you said, sometimes it just leads to the same information (articles, reviews, etc) being posted on multiple sites. I personally don’t use Pink Bike much, but they have a great marketplace that I’ve used many times to buy and sell. Not sure how it would be affected but I’m hoping they don’t turn everything into a money grab.

My bigger concern is BikeReg. I’m hoping the race fees don’t increase as they handle 95% of the races/rides I do. I’m hoping they don’t take more off the top from race promoters as well.

2 Likes

I knew that some of those were part of Outside Inc but not all, that’s crazy.

1 Like

Pretty extensive coverage of the acquisitions over on the CT forum…including Wade chiming in and offering his perspective, etc.

I think the Lance angle is pretty exaggerated….my understanding is that he personally doesn’t have an ownership stake, but one of his companies does and it is a a pretty minor stake.

IMO, it doesn’t matter how “small” it is. When Lance invests $1M in Outside (just making up a number) and suddenly a site that has been openly anti-Lance publishes an article about what a great guy he is for helping his buddy Jan, without naming the author (on a site that always used to name the author), I think it’s hard to deny something changed. Wade is walking a tightrope with his answers. I don’t blame him… he’s taken the buyout and he’s doing his best, but I don’t see 100% transparency in what he is saying.