Oura 3 vs Whoop 4

No one? :wink:

The super-short version (using side by side) is that at this point Oura 3 isn’t really tracking your workouts yet. It basically just tracks three levels of intensity, based on a wild ass guess. That’s because they haven’t yet implemented the sport mode, which means their optical HR sensor is in lower power mode and thus doesn’t handle high intensity well (it’ll show 85BPM when I’m at 170BPM). They say the workout mode comes later this year. Sleep however is tracked well.

Whoop 4 does workout tracking, and in my running and riding tests, it’s doing incredibly well for accuracy. Leagues above where it used to be (which was Dumpster Fire status in V3, rendering it useless). Based on my data thus far, it’s nearly identical to the other sensors I’m using, with only slight lag and slight undercutting in very short sub-30 second efforts of high/sprint intensity. Not enough to meaningfully change the overall training load. I am however having some basic sleep tracking issues with it, which Whoop is digging into (like, completely missing the time I fall asleep by showing it hours earlier). I’ve never had sleep accuracy issues on Whoop previously in nearly two years of using it, so, that’s new.

4 Likes