Optimized Recovery, Powerlifters Gone Cyclist, Fueling Rides and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 256

I race/ride on singletrack, so I don’t have really any all out efforts. I’ve never tried getting any raw numbers or sprinted to test my max numbers. I guess I don’t really care or track that stuff. In April 2019 I show some PRs on one ride I did with 1005 watts for 5 seconds and 978 watts for 10 seconds. Those were both on a full suspension mountain bike (Quarq XX1 PM) as I don’t own anything else. Maybe I’ll try to hit some max sprint efforts in the near future as a comparison from last year.

I was never technically a sprinter in school/college, but I know I had some sprint speed. I’d beat most people I sprinted against casually and in CrossFit workouts, some of who were 10 years younger than me. I also had other random “explosive” abilities that showcased in things like max box jump for height and broad jump for distance. I also tend to “over test” on TR Ramp Tests and achieve a number I can’t train with.

For the first year of TR I literally lifted no weights, focused solely on cycling, nutrition and recovery. I started meditating (Headspace.com), read 10+ books on cycling, racing and mental endurance and listened to every TR podcast. I took notes on everything and went 110% into this new sport.

I have since reintroduced strength training back into my training over this past winter and into the spring.

See, you’re not fully committed. You care about strength at the cost of your cycling ability. Which is fine, I get it as cycling is not your life. However, this is likely holding you back if you’re caring extra fatigue into your TR workouts. I did the same thing in my first year cycling. I realized I was way to strong than needed for life in general and my new sport. Being strong and lifting big numbers is fun, but not practical. It took a while to make that mental shift and get used to people asking me why I’m so skinny now.

4 Likes