New Power Meter for CX Bike: Quarq vs Power2Max

This is a Rotor issue. I believe P2M NA said this was limited to 172.5mm 3d24. It’s easy enough to check for and won’t get better or worse over time. I just do this now for every crank change.

Mine was definitely a P2M issue. The spider itself was bent so if you placed it on a flat surface and viewed it from the side, it formed a slight “U” and caused a wobble. They probably thought it was the crank issue because I sent it back in and they replaced the cranks but that didn’t help. I didn’t discover the bend in the spider until a month or so of using it, but the wobble was present from day 1. Sounds like it wasn’t a common issue and I got a lemon, but the QC was what bothered me.

Happened across this today - https://ridinggravel.com/forum/?p=post%2Ftrek-check-point-with-grx-stages-power-meter-10444928

Looks like he’s on a Carbon frame Checkpoint, so your Boone should about the same.

1 Like

Definitely more room than I had with the Pioneer. I’ll have to check this out.

Why not quarq dfour?

That’s actually the one I’m looking at now because the AXS I was originally looking at can only do 1x and the 2x has non-replaceable chainrings. So the DFour91 was the better option.

I like the fact the Dfour can run Shimano rings when your running Shimano drive train.

1 Like

Agreed, I’ve got a stages left side (FSA) on my Cross/Gravel rig for just that reason.

I have a CX with 2x10 Shimano 105 FC5750 172,5cm… now my bike dealer tells me I cant use Quarq on my cranks. Dont get it. Why?
What powermeter can I actually use without changing my cranks?

That is correct. Shimano cranks have the “spider” permanently attached so to speak. Quarq uses an interchangeable spider. If you’re running the older 105 cranks, I don’t think there are any options specific to those cranks. If you don’t want to change the BB, Power2Max/Rotor is an option, or get a left sided Stages/4iiii/Pioneer that would work I think with your cranks, or you can upgrade to the new 105 series.

1 Like

Thank you, yes the old 105 from 2014. what is BB?

Bottom bracket. Shimano is 24mm diameter spindle, which is the same for the Power2Max/Rotor combo. To switch to SRAM/Quarq, you’d need a different BB. But I have no idea what your frame standard is.