New Firmware Tacx Neo 2 v0.0.38

Someone here is auditioning for a job doing smart trainer technical support :rofl:

Also, note how all of DCR’s and GPLama’s reviews show the trainers are consistently 2-5% lower than the comparison power meters. /s

2 Likes

I don’t really see the problem. If you have a separate power meter on your bike you should be using that as a power source anyway so your inside and outside numbers match.
I am a happy camper with my Neo 2T so far. The power readings seem to be super consistent for me, which is what really matters and aIlows me to train properly.
I don’t have an external power meter yet, but I am looking forward to my free 20W FTP bump, should I ever get one.

2 Likes

for what it’s worth, i have a 2t and dual sided assiomas. same problem as you. 20w less at 300w. i’d say it averages around 8-10% less.

you don’t see the problem that a person needs a second power meter to make their $1400 trainer accurate? ok.

I don’t think that the mean max graphs are all that interesting when comparing two different measuring devices, and certainly not the main thing I care about. With the mean max graph, we don’t even know if the ‘10 minute’ max power is even over the same interval or not.
What I care about, and what I think what others care about, is ‘for a given interval’, do my power meters agree. Average power is the way to do this. This matters for things like ‘what was my power up that climb’, or ‘what was my power during my 20 minute FTP test’, or 'what was my power during the last minute of my FTP ramp test.

For the Neo 2t (DC Rainmaker Analyzer) for the entire ride:
Dzero: 246.20 watts
Powertap P2: 243.19 watts
Neo2t: 240.56
The neo2t was 2.3%lower than the dzero over the entire ride, and closer to the P2s. Looking at several sections the error was fairly consistent in the 2-3% range to the Dzero, and less to the P2s.

Results from the original neo were generally slightly better, although the SRM pedals used in that test seem way off. DC Rainmaker Analyzer

If people are seeing 20 watts low at 300 watts (ie a 6.7% error), I don’t think this is ‘expected’, or inline with review results. Yes, if you have a horribly maintained drivetrain, you will see higher losses than if it is in reasonable shape. People who are spending for power meters and high end smart trainers, and are detail oriented enough to compare them likely have at least decently maintained drivetrains.

Having dealt with smart trainer inaccuracy issues and customer support for my trainer and a friends, it is absolutely amazing at what customer support thinks is normal and acceptable. Trainers that are 10-15% off from 3 other powermeters are just fine, and it’s the power meters that are wrong.

2 Likes

I’ve done countless dual analysis with different powermeters and the Neo 1 and 2T. At the end of the day, the same conclusion has been reached - the 2T reports power lower than any of the powermeters used and the Neo 1.

What’s interesting is that flywheel speed seems to really matter. At lower flywheel speeds the Neo 2T begins to read closer to whatever powermeter I’m comparing it to.

Whilst the discrepancy doesn’t matter for many, at the top end of eRacing where you must connect your trainer as the primary powersource to Zwift, a difference of 4% is hugely significant. Whilst probably within the accepted tolerance for the manufacturer, we’re getting into the situation that trainers are being required to be absolutely precise and accurate, and used in ways that they were never designed.

1 Like

I’ve seen this kind of thing with ERG before, and I think the problem is with Zwift and ERG rather than the Neo or powermeter. I’ve linked a dual recoding I did with my OG Neo and old Powertap P1S pedals. This was a workout I imported to Zwift from Xert. Notice how the power reading on the pedals ramps down during the work interval, but the Neo reports a consistent power.

1 Like

So I did get a pair of Assiomas recently and so far I am happy to report that they track quite closely to my Neo2T (so no big FTP bump for me…). I have done three TR workouts with dual tracking.

Pallisade (interval):
Neo2T: Avg 282W ( -1,5% )
Duos: Avg 286W

Mills:
Neo2T: Avg 194W (+1,2 %), NP 245W (-1,4%)
Duos: Avg 192W, NP 249W
(about 7W seperation at ~320W, so 2,3%)

Jepson:
Neo2T: Avg 211W (-0,5%), NP 241W (-1,6%)
Duos: Avg 212W, NP 245W)

After a hard effort on a local climb, intervals.icu gave an eFTP of 278W with the Assiomas and my last ramp test with the Neo2T gave me 279W.
Both devices show a L/R power distribution of 50%/50%

In conclusion, I cannot really confirm the bad rep the Neo2T seems to get on forums in this regard and I am happy with both purchases :+1:

Although I guess for people with FTP north of 350W the difference could become substantial.

1 Like

As a Tacx owner, and a background in science (where measurement matters), this is one of the silliest threads I’ve ever seen.

The real answer is none of them are technically correct and the answer that makes the most sense is to use the power measurement you use outside for inside (ie: the crank or pedals).

As for eSports, you’re not after “correct power”, just the one that inflates your numbers the most. That will likely be some kind of single leg crank arm meter only. If you have to use the trainer, find the one that reads highest. If you’re really a baller, you buy 5 of the same “highest model/ brand” at a time and test all to see which of them reads even the highest. People do this with engines in stock / spec classes all the time, spending tens of thousands of dollars and keeping the one that only makes 1-3hp more.

2 Likes

As a consumer I’d love to get my money’s worth though. And for $1400 it’s not unreasonable to want a more accurate power meter than what 2T offers. I’m not even arguing everybody’s 2T is reading wrong but there’s a HUGE chunk of people who noticed the discrepancy.

At the end of the day, sure, I use my power meter to drive Neo. But why did I pay $1400 then?
What if I wanna use a cheapo bike on my trainer with no power meter and trust that 2T measures very close with my quarq or favoro assiomas on the other bike.

Anyway… I gave up long time ago. Only want to share my experience so that the next “sucker” might make a better decision than I have. I wish I bought the original NEO when I had the chance.

“A background in science”. Lol. I too, believe in science.

Thank goodness you have the real answer that addresses none of the concerns.

The whole thing is just about equipment working as expected. Some 2Ts don’t work as expected. We know this because we compare them to the way we measure power outside and/or other trainers. It’s not about chasing a trainer for the best esports numbers. Come on.

Much like @Wirt, I’ve found my workaround. But that doesn’t change the frustration of spending a large chunk of change on something on something that is wonky, but not quite wonky enough to get Tacx to care.

2 Likes