Need help with Garmin Vector 3

Not sure what you’re reading, general consensus i’ve heard is that they’re closer to a random number generator than a power meter

Dude, with the greatest of respect, that’s rubbish!! :joy:

1 Like

How much torque did you use installing them? I have found that if they are too tight, they read high. Garmin recommends 25-lb/ft. Park makes a crow foot adapter that works. The adapter must be 90deg to the torque wrench to be accurate and the torque wrench should be turning clockwise on both pedals (the face of the wrench will be facing away from you on one side)

2 Likes

I did not Do a climb yet with pedals.

But Strava gave around 230 w for this climb in Mallorca. I went all in here.

This is the same climb but another part of it.

This is now outdoor on a flat surface. Average bpm 137 (My maximum is 185). 150 plus is really pushing it.

How about you do a ramp test and see what comes of it

No, it isn’t. I’ve run Vector3s for almost two years and have had few issues that weren’t easily resolved. Tracked well with PowerTap and Kickr and Kickr Core. You may have some friends that think that, but it’s anything but a general consensus.

3 Likes

Torque shouldn’t affect the Vector3 as it did with the prior renditions.

2 Likes

Yeah will Do ftp test with the pedals. I expect about + 275 watt so 40 watt more than the zwift ftp test I did last week prior to vector 3. Will post it later here.

I don’t think the numbers you’re presenting are crazy. 280ish FTP at 83kg (3.4W/kg) generating 33km/hr… speed is really hard to judge: what’s the surface like, how aero are you/your bike, what tires, etc? Seems like that’s all reasonable to me.

1 Like

Well it was good concrete, did laps around a big lake with canyon aeroad cf sl. Sometimes used aerobars also. Average speed was 31,1 km/h. No traffic or lights almost. Average watt 270.

Continental gp attack with 7,5 bar :slight_smile:

Almost 20mph at 3.2W/kg and 270W. You’re a little bit bigger dude so probably not as aero as me, but that power/speed isn’t unreasonable IME.

Ok, I think I am confused because of the tacx vortex then. My Numbers are different now of what I was used too. Maybe I suck a little bit less Haha :slight_smile:
I give it time to adjust then and Do a new ftp to figure out what is the new high.

1 Like

If you can solo ride at 20+ for a while I don’t think your FTP is 2.77W/kg. I think the Vortex is likely incorrect.

2 Likes

Yep I have Vector 3 pedals and they always report higher than my Keiser M3i. And it’s ~20 watts. I never really know which one is right but assume my Garmin was correct cause I got similar numbers when I did a professional test of my FTP and ran the PMs side by side and got similar numbers.

was right cause I got a Simla I started with

One thing I can add is I find Garmin service is excellent. They give replacements easily and also upgrade for a fee to new versions. I broke a head unit. Replaced for small fee. Really impressed.

I also assume you’ve upgraded your firmware?

I need a link to a Strava leaderboard with you riding a climb with your powermeter.