Naturally anaerobically gifted athletes, how did you turn your anaerobic power into aerobic power?

That is making things worse in my opinion in regards to the OPs question

Anaerobically gifted athlete here. Also married to one.

Ride more. Keep pedaling. Forget intervals. Forget quality. Pedal more.

Your 3-30min power will always be better than you’re long power. It will always respond more and better to training.

That grants you a luxury. You can do less intensity. Even with exclusively zone 2 work, your short power will improve.

Genetics are powerful. So is training history.

If you’ve lifted a lot, amassed muscle, or were a born sprinter, you have the amazing luxury of never needing to do a hard interval workout and you’ll always blow the doors off of your peers for short-duration power.

My wife is the same. Here’s an anecdote:

63kg

2020:
1200W peak power
580 W 1-min power
305W 5-min power
260 W 20-min power
240 W 1hr power
200 W 4hr power

2 years of virtually no structured workouts, and certainly nothing harder than FTP. Rode, ran, swam. A lot. Avoided intensity like the plague. Did ultra-endurance stuff. Ran a marathon. Everested (trenched, actually). etc. No lifting. No plyos. No sprinting. Limited racing, and always in the break.

Result:

End of 2021:
1150 W peak power
650 W 1min power
330 W 5min power
285 W 20min power
260 W 1hr power
225 W 4hr power

That’s roughly 10% gains across the board, all the way from 1-min power to 6-hr power, even though her training looked like she was training for RAAM or 70.3/140.6.

You can’t take the sprint out of the born sprinter. But you can develop the fitness.

Careful though, sprinters can damage & fatigue themselves more from workouts than non-sprinters. Ride more. Ride easier. Ride more.

17 Likes

This is the way. No need for work above ftp.

1 Like

Even the coach that wrote the “You’re training too hard for criteriums” article is a proponent of VO2 max training. You need to raise the ceiling eventually. And if you race road and crits, I believe a couple weeks of sharpening with VO2 or anaerobic workouts would be beneficial. This could also be incorporated into aerobic work such as long Z2 with some 30s all out sprints, or SST with bursts every few minutes.

1 Like

A few posts earlier, I said you need to sharpen a few weeks before the race.

If someone is already super Anaerobic then this will likely make the issue worse. Or even worse, it will blunt their top end without actually making them better aerobically.

1 Like

Hmm, you want to increase your 3min to 60+ minute power but you aren’t eating any carbs?

This a super important point. It might not be that you are “Naturally Anaerobic” but rather your body has no fuel in it to go hard for 3-60 minutes.

All this talk of endurance vs SS (endurance is most certainly the answer) is moot if you aren’t eating carbs. Without the proper fuel your body isn’t going to be able to push really hard for more than a minute or less than several hours.

Sustained Power Build, then assuming you’re a road rider for Speciality I would choose Century for maximising endurance, 40k TT if you’re more interested in your one hour power.

This is how I score on the percentiles on intervals.icu for the last 60 days, so during after doing sustained power build (LV)

For me sweetspot (up to 120’) works really well, everything above FTP stimulates my anaerobic power. As a reference
Max power 1050W, 1’: 800W, FTP: 300W

1 Like

Hmm, this is ridiculous when using my age group:

I’ll try your age group as it looks better:

Versus all-time bests from 2017, this season the 30s and 60s were repeated sprints. Its been 6 months of aerobic base development with a tiny build (over-unders and some short threshold) in last 6 weeks to get ready for Wed group rides. Only hard (not all-out) efforts this season were pre-field test pacing efforts at 11 minutes (pacing for 20-min) and 32 minutes (pacing for 40-70-min long). Was planning to do some long-ish climbs / hard efforts to fill out the curve and see how close I can come to 2017 PRs.

1 Like

Nah, I’m only competitive on the flats. At 3W/kg ftp I’m always sweeping the back on climbs.

1 Like

I disagree with this. Sweet spot and tempo are recognized for lowering lactate production / vlamax and increasing the aerobic abilities of the lactate producing fast twitch fibers.

Here is a quote from Tom bell at High North:

A key factor that contributes to maximal glycolytic rate is muscle fibre composition, where Type IIa and Type IIx are generally more inclined towards anaerobic energy pathways (including glycolysis), and are generally less effective at producing energy through aerobic pathways.

However, it’s possible to train Type IIa fibres to become more aerobically efficient, and in particular to become better adapted to use fats for fuel instead of glycolysis.

"By training at intensities just below the lactate threshold, it is possible to recruit a portion of Type IIa fibres and turn them into muscle fibres that possess qualities more akin to the Type I fibres, making them more aerobically capable and better able to use fat oxidation for energy production.

These sweetspot sessions can be usefully combined with carbohydrate restriction to further enhance the stimulus for improved fat oxidation.

5 Likes

Well this will be interesting, because Brendan is/was coached by Tom Bell.

Article written by Brendan, with a reference to his coach Tom Bell:

3 Likes

oh god, this article has the worst (as in I absolutely did not want to hear that answer): over/unders :scream: as according to TR these train you to shuttle lactate

I don’t think he’s making the connection LOL. Might be even more interesting than you think! The internet, FTW.

Tempo never gets any love. SweetSpot is the drunk loud one.

2 Likes

thanks for posting this. I’m very surprised to read that because Tom is not very pro-sweet spot at all. In talking to him about it (he’s my coach), we’ve talk a lot about how glycolysis starts very often around tempo riding, so it’s not the best way to even address a vlamax reduction. A long endurance ride is much more effective, where those anaerobic fibers are called on to help, hopefully more aerobically, but I didn’t recommend this since the athlete said they are on Low Volume; they probably don’t have time for that.

2 Likes

he is my coach.

1 Like

I appreciate your counter. I do look forward to training seriously again with TR, AT is a big reason for that. I won’t ever do a focused block of SS work though, as I said, it’s deceptively fatiguing and didn’t deliver what I had hoped. MV is a different animal than HV as you know. I suspect you’ve increased your over-all time in Z2 though? SS sessions have their place, but not 3+ days a week - my experience.

@brendanhousler It’s a definition / labeling problem. You are saying the same thing that irideveryslowly quoted Tom as saying (and of course have probably heard him say LOL). The way it’s being presented makes it seem like it’s different. You are saying the same thing. Tom is not using very precise language in that snippet (likely because in that context he simply didn’t need to).

For the benefit of you as a coach, I can say that until I was formally coached, phrases like: “gets to be very glycolytic” or “such and such glycolytic” is confusing / potentially misleading. Most riders (and some coaches) are not going to interpret that the right way. You know what it means. Tom knows what it means. I know why I might not want that (and in other cases I would want a ride to “be glycolytic”). But many riders think that the increase glycolysis per se is bad. It’s not of course. But clarifying why can be tricky.

Maybe someone can chime in as to why. I’ve tried three attempts and didn’t hit “Reply” because I simply don’t know how to get the message across about glycogen and day-over-day, etc.