N-1; Cx on the road

I run a 1x with a 42 chainring up front and an 11-40 on the back on my Santa Cruz Stigmata. When using it as a road bike it’s all good for 90% of the ride. Only “challenge” is on longer decents where I will run out of gears pretty quick. I do occasionally get dropped on group rides because of this, but a little TT effort once the road levels out and I’m back in the group.

2 Likes

Anyone looking at using this kind of bike for gravel as well as CX/road should seriously consider 38c as the minimum acceptable clearance. This gives you access to fast rolling, decent volume tyres such as the Schwalbe G-One or panaracer gravel king sk

4 Likes

Totally agree. Maybe even 40c. Just gives you so much versatility.

1 Like

Same here. Stigmata plus two wheel sets and you’ve got everything you need. I’ve still got a dedicated road bike, but it’s pretty much a dedicated trainer bike now.

1 Like

Love the setup on that SuperX. I built up a Santa Cruz Stigmata with the exact same components and it’s the perfect do it all bike.

2 Likes

Thanks, the Di2 is really the lynch pin that pulls it all together with the xt rear. The pic is before the Barry Roubaix psycho killer 100 mile gravel race. This year I’ll get a more color matching tank bag by three toes threadworks and I’ll be dialed. I’ve heard great things about the stigmata but haven’t ridden one.

Ill add; I run a compact with an 11-34 cassette and Di2. This gives a 1/1 ratio that gives me ample spin on the gravel climbs and lots of top end on the road. Iv’e even run an 11/36 sram cassette with no problems. Just put on the Ultegra RX clutch derailleur, haven’t tested it yet.

Love the Stiggy, but could handle a bit more tire clearance IMO.

1 Like

I’ve got away with 11-36 and a 105 11 speed mech. But it hugely depends on your mech position, amount of B screw and front chainring combo