MyVeloFit, Online AI Powered Bike Fit

I asked them this exact question yesterday and got this reply

“Currently we aren’t making cleat recommendations. If you are really diligent with your video capture it will pick up differences in leg extension between the left side and right side. This can be caused by leg length differences (both functional or structural) or with other issues such as pelvic instability, ankle mobility issues, or asymmetrical clear placement”

1 Like

Before:

After:

I still have some adjustments to go, but interestingly I checked the measurements and lined up really closely to the fit on my Tarmac, albeit with higher handlebars (which I’m ignoring for now since I’m a little stiff from being inside so much so my mobility isn’t as good right now)

Pedal stroke feels a lot more fluid and effortless on the indoor bike now.

9 Likes

Seems to be offering some decent advice from the looks and sounds of it all. I appreciate the testing and feedback. I think this looks like a good option that I plan to dig into with several bikes. :smiley:

3 Likes

Plan to do this on Friday…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your experience! They’re based in my hometown (Ottawa) and I was really intrigued when I saw the article in CyclingTips. It’s been over 3 years since my first and only bike fitting and I was considering paying for a Retul fitting at a local LBS, but COVID. This seems like a cost-effective and safer interim solution until things start to open up again.

2 Likes

I was curious how this Velofit would work, I’ve been doing my own “fitting”. Never felt the need to actually pay for a bike fit. Started getting a little hip discomfort a month ago, i’ve made it feel a lot better through some rehab work.
Anyways, this popped up so I said whatever I’ll try it. It was very easy to get done at my own house with an iPhone. I wanted to set up my trainer bike since I use that most of the time.
Long story short, I had some minor tweaks to the seat post height (10mm) and had to move the seat forward (5 mm). Did my first hard workout of the week today, my hip feels amazing and those minor tweaks actually made me feel a lot more comfortable on my bike trainer. I would say it’s definitely worth $35. I might have to do my other bikes now!

6 Likes

@mcneese.chad May I suggest that we move the MyVeloFit discussion to its own thread? I’m about to try this also.

1 Like

Sure, I can do that. I will book mark this and catch it in the morning. :smiley:

3 Likes

Heard about this, waiting to see if it works before I buy. @stevemz you blurred out your face but we can see your avatar (unless that’s not the real you haha)

1 Like

Though the exact same thing when he posted!

:man_shrugging:

I did it because I saw everyone else doing it in the thread and figured it was a way to help people focus on the fit rather than someone’s face.

Every internet forum has their own random norms around personal information so it’s hard to keep track :laughing:

4 Likes

I’m too lazy to cover my face, so be ready to see my ugly mug when I get my testing rolling :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You should have use a funny car/dog face or something! (maybe angry cat?)

Missed opportunity there!

2 Likes

The forum flag function is gonna get a good workout :rofl:

2 Likes

You’re all just lucky I cut my hair and trimmed by beard. I had 6 months of mountain man on my head before that :open_mouth:

3 Likes

For the video you upload do you you do it at effort or a light easy spin? When I had a professional fit it was done on a guru fit bike with the resistance at a minimum so didn’t feel as engaged as I normally would be riding so makes me think that would impact the fit

1 Like

Yes it says to do a light spin ( did mine for about a minute) and try to minimize anything in the background like shelving or posters, etc.

1 Like

So I just tried this. I purchased the $35 enthusiast level. I spent about an hour and a half recording, re-recording, editing, and uploading and adjusting.
I have never had a pro bike fit, but have spent a decent amount of time dialing in my fit based off of common internet recommendations.
My takeaways:
-I definitely have some body dismorphia. The last time I did the whole record yourself thing, I was quite a bit heavier.
-The software seems to work well but is easily “gamed”
-Their recommendations definitely had an improvement in comfort.
-I did submit the same video twice in order to see if the recommendations changed, they did not.
-i kept getting recommended to move my saddle forward 5mm, I’d move it, and would get the same recommendation on the next video. I think can be easily just how I got on the bike. I tend to fidget alot on the bike (especially indoors).
-i have purposely had my bars a little too low the last couple of months. The software picked up on this immediately.
Overall, I think it works. It will definitely get you close, but I think a actual in-person fit is needed to get the rest of the way. Of course that’s just speculation on my part as I’ve never had a pro fit. I think for $35, it’s good enough to tell you if you’re way off.
I’m planning a longish ride this weekend, I’ll report back with any fit concerns.

8 Likes

Does the software ask anything about what kind of fit you are aiming for?

For instance I have two bikes that are the same size but have intentionally set one to be in a more aggressive position with the other more comfort focused.

7 Likes

A similar thing happened to me on a bike fit a number of years ago. The fitter kept moving my saddle forward and having a look at me and i was staying in the same position just shuffling back to compensate from the more forward position.

4 Likes