Metabolic Pathways

Optimal sugar ratios and hydration throughout. Must hydrate to meet carb consumption rates. Must consume high sodium tor retain fluids consumed and not get hyponatremic. Target 1:1 glucose:fructose. Target 800-1200mL water and 700-1500mg sodium per hour from sodium citrate, primarily.

How I do it:
Saving Money as an Endurance Athlete

Review a few of my other recent threads’ activity and you’ll see a few responses that detail much much more.

This is exactly how my wife and I do it. For her 7-hr, 140-mile ride yesterday she had 500g carbs in one bottle, 300g carbs in a second bottle, and a plain water bottle. She stopped for a water refill as soon as she finished the 300g bottle and the water bottle.

At that point she then had 500g of carbs onboard and 2 fresh bottles of water. I think that lasted her through to the end, but she’s a bit of a light sweater. If it were me, I’d have done 600 & 300, + 1 water, then stopped twice for top-ups on water.

Plain white sugar comprised ~85% of her total carbs. Gatorade was the remainder. Sodium Citrate were her electrolytes. Plus 2 caffeine tabs. One pre-ride, one mid-ride for 400mg caffeine. She weighs 63kg for reference.

2 Likes