Marji Gesick 100, Who’s Coming With Me?

@MI-XC, @kern0079 - Congratulations on finishing. This year’s edition took out a lot of riders including MTB Pros. My attempt in 2016 ended at Lowes (30 miles) rolling around on the ground with cramps so bad I could not stand. Even 5 hours later my legs would still cramp and buckle my knees just standing. As they say, it isn’t hype if the race delivers.

1 Like

I’d agree that it’s among the hardest, if not the hardest, single day MTB event in the US.

Hi, I was the guy who walked our bikes up jasper together to checkpoint 5. I agree that was brutal. Glad we finished. I don’t think I will be doing that race anytime again.

2 Likes

Nice, glad we could suffer together. You mean the checkpoint that wasn’t really a checkpoint :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. Yeah, I see no reason to do Marji again. I prefer to ride my bike, not push it up ridiculously steep hills that are unridable.

Hi @MI-XC, @bmullin, @kern0079, @Adamupthere, @KFB,

I’m signed up for this year.

Besides the obvious prep in training and long races etc., how beneficial do you think it is to pre-ride the course or parts of it?
I’m trying to plan out my year and could be in the area for the 2 weeks leading up, riding parts of the course etc. I’d have to drop a few other plans for it, so trying to gauge whether that’s ‘worth’ it.

Thanks!

Hey @trailhead! I did Marji for the first time last year (finished) and never really pre-rode the course though I also did Polar Roll and CrusherEX which had some sections that were in Marji as well (didn’t know it at the time). Having said that, if you can make the time to do it, I would. I don’t think it will change your outcome in regards to finishing but there is some gnarly $h*t on that course and if you don’t finish before dark you’ll be riding the worst of it with lights (speaking from experience.) I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky for only going OTB once and riding off with less leg hair and some scratches when it could have easily been broken bones. Marquette has some awesome technical singletrack and stuff I’d never seen before so it’s definitely rideable with decent skills, I’m by no means an expert but I’m not a noob either.
My only advice is go into it determined to finish. I saw quite a few people pull the plug with 15-20 miles left once they got back to Jackson Park. Personally, I looked at it like “well, I suffered through to this point so I’m finishing this come hell or high water even if I have to limp to the finish line (I have a bad knee and it was KILLING me towards the end). It really just comes down to how bad you want it. Stay hydrated, keep consuming calories, and keep a pace that you can maintain and you’ll do just fine. I didn’t set out to buckle, I just wanted a finish and I got it. I’ll be there this year too, hoping to ride it a little faster and maybe finish before dark :crossed_fingers:t3:Best of luck!

1 Like

I’m just here to say that I never want to do this race. I’ve never heard of a race which most people who do it consider it the hardest thing they’ve ever done. This race doesn’t get enough press for its savage-ness.

Good luck to all who give it a shot. I’ll be on the sidelines wishing you well :metal:

1 Like

I’ve finished it once, #QUITTER once, and in the mother of all bad decisions I ran it once too. I’d really like to pick up an entry this year but apparently getting in is almost as hard as finishing it now. It’s an amazing course, nothing compares.

The year I rode it and finished (2016), the one standout thing I remember is how fast everyone blasted the first 30 miles. I was riding by HR and was super strict about staying under a set number and got a little freaked out by how far back in the pack it had me. I’m no where near being a podium guy but typically finish in the upper half of the field for these sorts of things. Sure enough, around mile 40 the tide shifted and I passed dozens of broken or about-to-be-broken souls.

The year I blew up it was hot and I got frustrated trying to keep my HR where it should have been so I gave in and paced with the crowd and the inevitable happened.

So if it’s your first time my advice is to know your pace and stick to it.

And if anyone reading this decides they don’t want their entry I’d love to take it off your hands! If I had known it was going to be so hard to get into I wouldn’t have wasted that one year running the damn thing!

1 Like

If you’re not familiar with the area or trails then it would be pretty beneficial. It’s nothing like lower MI trails so it would be good to know what you’re in for. Know your refuel spots and ideally you have someone staged along the route to provide water and fuel. Quitting is not an option and I challenge you to go too slow for the first 50 miles. Consider a 30 tooth front chainring and 50+ in the back.

1 Like

While I don’t think pre-riding the course is necessary, and I wouldn’t bother riding the entire 100+ miles … if you’re in the area and have time, I definitely think riding parts of the course would be beneficial. If nothing else, just to give you an idea of techy stuff you’ll run into.

I’ve participated in Marji twice. First time I was a #quitter after a fluky injury (deep cut in left hand) caused me to stop after ~70 miles to get stitches. It was a difficult decision to quit, but a nurse at an aid station convinced me as there was a hospital nearby that they affectionately called the “hospital in the woods”. The doc that sewed me up was actually a trail volunteer that helped mark a few sections of the race course :slight_smile:

My second attempt was successful, with a 2nd Place Masters finish (47th overall) … I think I missed 1st place Masters by ~3 minutes. No belt buckle for me, but I was happy with a Masters podium finish.

If you have a few hours, or even a full day to pre-ride trails. The area I would most recommend are the South Marquette trails. You can easily start at the Noquemanon South Trails Trailhead which is about the 40-mile mark of the race, and first “aid station” (map link below). These trails include some of the more techy rock sections, challenging climbs and fun descents. In general, I’d say these are some of the best trails included in the race course … and they also make for a fun day of riding. Make sure to hit a few of the downhill flow trails that are nearby (across the highway), with one of them included in the race (I forget the trail name).

Noquemanon South Trails Trailhead

Below are a few South Marquette trail description links:
Marquette South Trails

Marquette South Trails

NTN South Trails

I hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck with the race … enjoy the adventure!

2 Likes

It’s a great area to ride so there are a lot worse ways to spend a weekend than exploring the course. If you can’t make that happen, or even if you can, it’s well worth your time to do a deep dive on the maps to understand the various sections, road crossings, checkpoints, etc. Knowing where the course backs down long enough to give you a chance to shovel food in your gullet can make a big difference in how your day plays out.

2 Likes

That time of year when the reality of that “fun” race you signed up for is settling in. Who’s fresh meat? Who’s returning? What are your goals?

I finished the 100 as fresh meat last year, but only after stacking the deck against myself with plenty of rookie pacing and fueling mistakes (some of which I knew better, some I now know better) and after over 22 hrs on the trail. All of this was before finding TR/learning about proper fueling.

I’m going back with a galvanized goal of staying well within my limits for the first 60 miles, especially during the rabid pace on the XC ski trails out of the gun + Jedi climb to Top of the World. Nutrition plan is sound, so just want to stick to it and audible in a smart way when something inevitably goes out the window.

I’d love to cut a bunch of time off last year. It should be possible based on the above + wasted time at aid stations. Setting a time goal in this kind of race though is a bit terrifying as the mental fortitude is so important. That said, barring weather (which is a real factor) I’d like to cut a 2-3 hours off my time.

Sounds like you had a great time! Also sounds like you came away with a lot of actionable items for improvement. Good luck!

disclaimer - I’m not in this year, but have started my plan for MJ100 2024.

Good luck to everyone. That is a huge day of absorbing punch after punch, I’m not ready for that. It is amazing to me that such a miserable experience sells out as fast as a top tier concert. Y’all should seek counseling :rofl:. Kidding aside, mad respect to everyone toeing the line. Wishing all of you a safe and successful ride. One of my friends is signed up after having to pull out last year, hopefully she can fix the #unfinishedbusiness.