Leadville 2021 Thread

I deferred my Leadville entry to 2021.

I’m coming off a pretty significant knee surgery (Total replacement) and I’m rebuilding base now as I try to lose some post-surgery weight.

I’m anticipating starting structured training on Nov 1. Too soon?

What are your plans for 2021?

1 Like

Just registered. I got a coin in the 2019 Austin Rattler. I deferred Leadville until 2020, and then deferred again to 2021 d/t COVID.

According to the 2021 Leadville website, my finish time at the Rattler of 4:21:13 puts me in the red corral. However, this race was cut short by one lap, so I’m wondering if this is right. Anyone have any insight, or any 2019 Rattler finishers in the same boat?

Registered last night as well, hopefully this thing will happen next year.

I also got my coin at the 2019 rattler. I had to contact them via email to get my corral position since the race was cut short. My finish time was 3:57 and they gave me purple corral. They are notorious for stingy corral placement at the rattler and they still need to work out the right cutoffs for the new course. The corral times on their website are for the entire course and are just silly. 4:30 for red would translate to 1:30 lap times. Only the top 3 finishers (pros) were barely at that pace for 2 laps and it’s likely they would have finished 3 laps slower than 4:30. So, nobody would have gotten better than green corral for that race if they didn’t adjust it. They need to add 60-90 minutes to all the corral times to make them reasonable unless they make the course much faster.

I ended up doing the stage race last year (8:05 finish) and improved to green corral and just 5 minutes off red. It’s a better course for me compared to rattler, but my fitness was similar and it just shows how silly the Austin corral times are. I’m still planning to do the rattler in a couple weeks, but I’m not expecting to improve on my green corral.

Yeah, I wish they’d post an update about the 2019 Rattler times. The chart makes no sense, since 2019 was literally only 2/3 the distance of 2018, and on a different course.

They’ll likely change the corral cutoffs, despite what’s posted in the table. They did this 2 years ago for the silver rush when they changed the course due to snow.

Here’s a table that allows you to translate your finish time from a qualifier to likely finish time for the LT100

There’s very little benefit to being in a Corral that’s faster than your ability.

Still trying to see how I can get a coin for 2021 had one 2020 but got bumped to 2022… really want to go and race it will be my 5th time…Any word on lottery or qualifier coins?

Interested to see how Rattler 2020 times fit into corrals now. Cole Paton (Giant Factory Racing) went 4:36 for the win, so it certainly seems like the corral positions previously mentioned are a little fast compared to what people are actually achieving.

Just registered via 2020 deferral… Now to train and hope it happens.

Any word on an update to the Rattler corrals being changed?

None that I have seen yet but I don’t expect them to be super fast about updating it. I’ve sent an email just to see if they have a timeline or expectation.

I sent them an email last month asking about corral cutoffs based on rattler results, the feedback was they’d be updated in December. I’m not holding my breath. I honestly don’t understand how this would take more than 10 minutes. I am assuming my 2019 stage race finish will still apply and it’s good enough (green). I had a decent result at rattler, but I’m guessing it’s not going to improve my corral. Austin has always had stingy cutoffs.

Looks like the updated corral cutoffs are up, seems more reasonable for Rattler for sure.

I did the 2019 Silver Rush on the shorter than normal course (due to too much snow up high).

Rode it in 5:20 and was put in the purple corral for the 2019 LT100 - which aligns with the cutoffs listed in the table.

If they revert back to the normal longer silver rush course in 2021, they’ll need to change these cutoffs again. Eg the cutoff for purple should go from 5:30 to maybe 5:45.

Ok, I’m posting so I can subscribe to this thread because totally surprising to me after thinking it was a no-chance, somehow I drew to go to Leadville 100 this year. :smiley: :smiley:

I think I’m going to die lol.

5 Likes

Following

Random question for the Leadvillers, are all of these qualifying races gravel/double track? Or are some single track?

Leadville has been on my bucket list since seeing Lance do it years ago, it’s not as closely aligned to my single track preference these days, but I’m still very interested in it one day. That and the Swiss Epic.

1 Like

I’ve ridden only the Silver Rush, no other qualifiers.

The Silver Rush is mostly Jeep trail and gravel roads. Some of the Jeep trail is pretty rocky however, and is more chunky than the LT100.

It’s definitely not a Single Track experience. But some of the descents are still technical enough where you can pass a decent number of people if you have good descending skills. And the views are pretty epic - just need to not forget to look up every now and again!

2 Likes

Wilmington Whiteface 100k is mostly dirt roads (and some paved) with three sections of moderate single track totaling maybe 10k at most.

1 Like

What type of bike y’all ride on this? Trail, XC, enduro? All/any of the above?

XC, full if you want. Leadville is a hilly gravel race on mtbs.