Latex Tubes (Feedback Needed)

A couple of tips be careful not to get any grease or oil on the latex as it can cause the rubber to degrade. And do not over inflate them outside of a tyre as it can form a weak spot where the tube bulges out like a balloon.

Check out silca’s latex tubes, which might be vittoria actually. Optimized for tires measuring: 24-30MM. The valve extender actually works, unlike some that are always a pain to deal with, even with removable cores.

This is something I’ve heard ppl talk about but never talked to anyone who has had it happen or has witnessed it happening. Maybe somebody on this forum will be able to produce an eye witness report of a latex tube exploding! :smiley: I think it’s a myth…but I don’t live in the mountains.

1 Like

I’ve been riding Michelin latex tubes with Continental GP 5000 since early spring. Using Mavic Cosmic Carbon Exalith wheelset (aluminium brake track). No problems so far, been descending from a local 10k climb numerous times.
IMHO the ride is more comfortable and claimed ~2W efficiency over butyl tubes per tire is a bonus.

Are they really that delicate? Sheesh, scary. I’ve been on some descents where I’d hit 55+ if not dragging the brakes, and they’re a few minutes. That would be scary as hell with the added fear of popping a tube. I know, I know, move to disc, but damn. That doesn’t make me want latex before I eventually go tubeless.

Switched to latex after numerous tubeless fails
10,000kms
Continental 5000s
No flats
Rolls faster
Feels more supple (could be placebo)
Inflate before each ride, takes 2mins
A very affordable and actually measurable upgrade in performance.

5 Likes

Wow, that is worth knowing - good shout!

CO2 does work in latex tubes, but they just deflate much faster vs air. So it’s possible to use CO2 as a roadside fix to get home, but I wouldn’t use it as an everyday tool for inflating your tyres.

4 Likes

Problem with CO2 is just that latex tubes will lose pressure much faster than with air from your pump and in my experience can’t be relied on to get you home if inflated from a cartridge. Not a science guy, but I guess the CO2 molecules are smaller?

I have had a couple of latex tubes pop - and the loss of pressure is immediate vs a relatively slower deflation with a butyl tube. Neither of my flats was on a spicy descent but as much as I love the feeling of latex… I’ll only ever use them for racing on flat or rolling terrain… and never in my rim-brake carbon clinchers in the mountains.

I guess if you are riding disc brakes, have at it.

1 Like

I mean, I’ve never had it happen but that’s what I’ve heard once or twice anecdotally. Carbon rims create more heat and don’t dissipate it as easily as aluminum ones. So with hard continuous braking you may generate enough heat to pop one. But I never had it happen, even on some pretty steep 10+% descents.

1 Like

Keeping it in one place instead of new thread.

I’m about to make the leap to lovely latex tubes for the first time in 30 years of riding. Most tubes say 700c by 23c, how sensitive to size is latex? Will be going in Wolfpack road at 26mm or faithful conti gp5000 at 28mm.

Example of tubes on offer.

Latex is pretty stretchy, so the 23’s are probably fine. You could also go for Vittoria latex tubes, they come in 25/28.

I just found this thread over at the weight weenies forum, it might be worth reading.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119073

+1 for latex here! absolutely love them, rolls really well.

Pinched my first latex tube, since then only used talc powder on both the inside of the tyre and the tube and installed carefully (checking for any pinches) and no issues since! Over 1 year I only had 1 flat on the road with them (which was a loooong thorn that went straight through)

1 Like

I have a bunch of Vittoria latex tubes I picked up when ordering tires from ProBikeKit. Some are the 19-24 size and some 25-28. I use 28mm tires and I use both size tubes and can’t tell a difference when they are mounted. If I need a new tube I just grab whichever box is on top. I can’t say I’ve noticed more flats from the 19-24 tubes.

1 Like

I just got some vittorias. Of course pricked one with a piece of wire on the first ride. Gonna have a go at patching using old latex tubes and vulcanizing fluid, anyone ever tried this?

Repairing Latex Tubes (Clincher tires) I prefer to use a donor tube for patches and buy rubber cement in a large tube at the auto parts store. Make the patch much bigger than you would for a butyl tube. Put the glue on the tube and the patch and let sit for 3-4 min before pressing together.

1 Like

Thanks for that. I think the proper way is to use the vulcanizing stuff rather than glue, especially for latex. My friend said gluing a patch is like putting a band aid on a cut, whereas vulcanizing is how that cut naturally heals on your body, it fuses the pieces together and they can’t come unglued

Yep, the rubber cement you get at the auto store for patching, or that is included with patch kits, is also vulcanizing cement. This seems like a good thread where a chemist chimes in about what the glue does to regular tubes https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/35317/is-rubber-cement-in-stationery-stores-the-same-as-in-tire-patch-kits/35319

I’ve read that before and took away that they are similar but not the same