Latex tube selection

Been using Vittoria competition tubes but they always seem to eventually fail where the valve is bonded so want to see what else is out there for latex tubes with removable cores. I’ve had decent luck with Bontrager XXX latex tubes but they’re a bit more pricy

What latex are you using with a removable core?

I am on the Silca and like them, but have no other latex tube experience to compare them.

Silca are just Vittoria tubes

2 Likes

Challenge and Vedrestien (spelling) are supposedly the fastest latex tubes.

I’m running challenge (I think) at the moment.

1 Like

had similiar problems too on Vittoria latex…
changed to Tubolito for less hassle and don’t have to pump air every next day.

Vittoria branded tubes also use aluminum valves. They are literally the same exact tube except Silca marks them up $4

Maybe the old ones are brass. New ones are aluminum.

2 Likes

Maybe, I’ve been buying them for 2 years and have never received a brass valved one. It leads to a slightly more balanced feeling wheel on a work stand but I’ve used brass valved ones and on the road you can’t feel any vibration or anything

Mine seem to always let go where the base meets the latex anyway so I dunno how beefy they really are.

I got a pair of challenge latex tubes to try out and see if the QC is a bit better. The Vittoria work great but when they fail it’s constantly in the same spot and I’m hoping Challenge are a bit more robust

I switched to the Vittoria latex tubes some time at the start of July so its too early to know about their valve but I have been pleasantly surprised at how easy they were to fit and their air retention so far despite me using a valve extender.

1 Like

I’m sorry, is the failing of a tube base after “a few years” really a failure? I mean, I guess my specialized branded butyl tubes last “a few years” before they fail at the valve stem but I’ve never considered that fault, but an impressive feat of durability.

1 Like

Michelin for me too