Kurt Kinetic Road Machine roll down test

I have an ageing Kurt Kinetic Road machine that I have just started using again after quite a long layoff. I’m either much fitter than I thought, or the resistance unit has deteriorated and produces less resistance than previously at a given speed/power.

I have just done a roll down test from an indicated 300W and it took 13.5 seconds to come to a complete stop. Unfortunately I can’t find my old roll down test result from when I bought the unit some 5 years ago. If anyone has any roll down data, I would really appreciate it, so I can get some idea if the resistance unit is ok or not…

Thanks in advance.

PhilC36

5 years isn’t aging for a KK fluid trainer (my unit just kicked the bucket at 10), but that doesn’t even seem like the protocol used for a roll down anymore. In TR or inRide, you can “calibrate” with a roll-down that is from 21mph, but not all of the way down to 0 (maybe stops at 10 or something?). It, presumably, is more accurate because it measures closer to the power band that you’ll be riding in, while ignoring the 4mph-0mph…

3 Likes

Reviving a bit of a dead thread: I measured the temperature of my Kinetic through a TR session last night and it went to about 30 degrees C above ambient and sat there (40 deg C). It took over 10 minutes to get there, although it was pretty warm at 10 minutes, the temperature is dependent on the intensity of the last couple of minutes, and therefore the warm up of the session won’t heat the unit to the same degree as the main blocks. My guess is this doesn’t matter, as the fluid has been selected to be relatively independent of temperature. I was using a Brannan IR thermometer, and had a fan driving air in the general direction of the turbo.

1 Like

Since we’re digging up two-year-old stuff and someone “liked” my above-post…

I’m betting that the tire/roller interface temperature has more to do with the resistance “changes” than the intentionally chosen temperature-neutral fluid. I am curious if my unit hits 30c above ambient temp, but yeah, it gets warmer than the air around it. 86F seems hotter than the difference. YMMV.