KickrV5 - drift in ERG-mode?

FWIW this is my assumptions only. Wahoo support says Kickr5 is working fine and within tolerance. I wouldnt agree that a 4% drift is within tolerance, but that is basically an other discussion. Wahoo says that Kickr will calibrate after each ride and that I never would need to calibrate the Kickr5 manually. But when I implied that the Kickr5 would also calibrate before ride (when cold) and wouldnt calibrate during workout, the stopped answering. So no more help to get there.

Anyways I dont trust Wahoo support much, if you wanna know why, read this thread:

dlec10:
If I stop pedaling during an ERG-workout, the trainer stops within a couple of seconds, Im assuming that is not enough coasting for Kickr5 to recalibrate. A normal spindown (Kickr18) usually takes 20-30seconds I would guess.

mcneese.chad:
Yes, I can probably do spindown after warmup. Two problems with this though:

1. Im not sure if the Kickr5 really wants to be calibrated, since its actually “auto-calibrating”. Ive done both successful and unsuccessful calibrations using TR, but Im wondering if this only is a result of me triggering or failing to trigger the auto-calibration. This would also mean that I must calibrate the Kickr5 during each ride, since I have very little control over when it auto-calibrates.
  2. One of the main reasons I bought the Kickr5 was the auto-calibration, when its not working as expected, I really dont see the point of having a Kickr5. When I had the Kickr18 I did one calibration after warmup now and then and that seemed to work ok, Kickr 18 was then normally under-reading a bit during warmup, but reading pretty close to PM after 15min+ as seen in sets under:
    DC Rainmaker Analyzer
    DC Rainmaker Analyzer
    DC Rainmaker Analyzer

I have no idea if Kickr compensates for temperature better or worse than others. I only have data from Kickr18/5 and Neo2/2T, Neo did not drift, but its also a totally different trainer, no belt etc. I did have a Direto once, but didnt usually dual record at that time, so I only have two datasets of the Direto and I really cant remember anything about temperature or when I calibrated it. I also mostly used powermatch when I had the Direto. The two sets dont show any drift though. FWIW, its pretty cold in Norway atm, so I would guess the temperature in my trainingroom rises quite a bit during a workout these days.

2 Likes