Kickr Bike V1, long term reviews?

That’s good to hear. I’m surprised on the Kickr bike fb group where so many people detail home grown solutions. I also find it interesting when some users there complain about the amount of flex there is in the bike. But I guess they’re maybe expecting a spin bike type feel for some reason.

I think this is a good point. Aftersale.

For me I’d only really consider either the Kickr Bike or the Wattbike. Both have great aftersales (at least here in the UK).

Also to add. In the UK there is a good secondary market for Wattbikes. Anyway, back to the Kickr bike

I’ll just add that even with the stages, kickr, neo smart bikes all being gen 1 I don’t get any overall “these are total junk” vibes for any of the bikes. Certainly with all 3 there are the occasional lemons and some other annoying issues reported but nothing indicating mass reports of bikes exploding. lol

1 Like

Does anyone even have any insight into whether gen 2 versions will be coming? We’ve seen iterations of the Kickr trainer and the Neo and others, but IMO, those were not really new generations, more just minor updates. And they have been around for almost a decade. Anything imminent for these bikes?

1 Like
  • Maybe, maybe not. Improvements in power measurement (Kickr 1 to 2 was huge), and the push to the silent belt drive was a notable change, coupled with native support for thru axles are real changes in my eyes.

• Regardless of what happened with trainers, I fully expect the next release of any of these bikes will likely be “minor updates”. They have invested LOTS of money into tooling and design of these bikes. Cosmetically, they are likely to remain quite similar.

• Improvements may be seen to be minor like fixing the slipping and loose joints in the Kickr Bike. We’ve already been through some running changes in the Neo Bike with the belt design to solve the early breakage issues they had. Stages has some noise and rubbing issues with flywheels, and a local friend actually got one with a frame that was welded poorly such that the bars are not level or straight.

• There might be things addressed like places to store devices (Kickr), improvements to buttons (shifting and steering) and other stuff I would file under “refinement”.

• As a counter question, what exactly would people ask for and change from these V1 models we have anyway?

1 Like

The ability to get the exact fits I (and other users) have on different bikes on the trainer, preferably programmable.

1 Like

Electro-mechanical adjustments would be new and interesting at the consumer level… and I can tell you prohibitively expensive. That tech exists on a handful of fit bikes, and they are double or more the cost of these current smart bikes. Some of that would come down with scaling, but there is no way you’d get one at the same prices we have now.

As to your main “exact fits” aspect, what is preventing that right now?

• All the bikes offer a large range of adjustments that seem to be able to hit anything within their stated size ranges.

• Some make transferring a known fit from an existing bike or fit data easier than others, but all of them can get to a matched fit with a tape measure and a level.

• After that, you simply record the settings from the smart bike (since all the ones I have seen list the relative position of each component) and reference them for any changes to mimic different bikes and/or riders.

1 Like

For me personally (and maybe this is possible on some models today, but not to my knowledge) the ability to use ones own cranks - having ridden on 180’s for nearly 30 years I am not excited to change my crank length unless there is a compelling reason.

For the models that do not have any kind of motion, the addition of a flex/rocker function to better mimic road riding and reduce stress on the bike.

Beyond those thoughts, I think the current models look really good, and could just use refinements.

1 Like

And all of this is more time consuming and annoying than flipping a bike off a direct drive trainer. I also won’t be perfect at getting my dimensions with each change. If I’m dropping several thousands of dollars (+extra pedals +saddle(s) +potentially multiple seatposts) on a bike that won’t go outside, I want it to be as easy and seamless as possible.

There is an entire market segment that disagrees. One of the frequently mentioned advantages of trainer bikes (as opposed to trainers on which you mount a bike) is the ability to cater for multiple users in the household or wherever the bike may be installed. The “annoying and time consuming” adjustment is what anyone doing spinning classes does at the beginning of every session.

3 Likes

Stages bike. Gear display. ERG stability. Based on dcrainmaker review it sounds like flywheel weight contributes to that. A 50lb flywheel sounds like overkill to me.

Kickr bike. Only issue I read about is seatpost and handlebar slippage. Sounds like they have a fix they’ve sent out to people.

Tacx neo bike. Maybe some flex. Like stages sounds like there’s zero lateral movement. I’d rather not spend $3k and then have to work out some solution for lateral movement.

From what I’ve read, I likely would like any of these 3 bikes if I truly was in the market for that.

so I’m probably nitpicking a bit but I feel that’s okay when one is spending $2500+

4 Likes

Since I have a SB20, the biggest change in a Gen2 would be an integrated rockr type motion. Or release a rockr plate (or work with an existing company to do this) specifically for the SB20. Current “off the shelf” rockr plates don’t really fit the dimensions for the SB20 well.

1 Like
  • They are not officially linked to Stages, but there are a handful of the smaller rocker builders that offer designs specifically for the SB20. Some may serve multi-duty since the basic footprint is similar to things like the Neo, Wattbikes and other spin bikes, but these rockers are set more around this shape than a typical bike and trainer combo.

• I don’t want to spam this thread, but can help to find some models if there is interest. The locations will vary and there are not likely solutions in all regions, but some are out there.

Yeah, I don’t know how you can compare sliding the seatpost and bars to removing the bike from the trainer, putting the rear wheel on, indexing the gears, and inflating the tires.

1 Like

I have a friend who has issues with their legs rubbing the seatpost on the Tacx bike.

1 Like

Well, you may have to slide the seat and handlebars both up-down and fore-aft, so that’s a lot of work. Many seconds. Maybe even a minute.

And I don’t know why one would deflate the tires in the trainer. :smile:

1 Like

A few have it on the Kickr bike too

2 Likes

i don’t know if it is worth to wait for a second gen of Kickr Bike or a Bike like this?

When will Tiltbikes be available?

We are planning to send our first shipments in late 2022, with pre-orders expected to open 6 months out. If you’d like to be among the first to know as soon as pre-orders open and get updates from the lab, sign up to our mailing list!

https://www.muoverti.com/product

Sure, then it is a 1st gen again! :joy:

EDITH:
20 cycling metrics and real
time motion capture such as
L/R balance

That looks a lot less adjustable than a KICKR/Stages/Neo bike

Yes, that is my conclusion too. You’d effectively need to buy the frame which fits you. And they would need to carefully consider the geometry.

Looks a little pie in the sky to me.