Is this helmet safe?

Yep, you need a new bike.

7 Likes

1 Like

Clearly the answer I wish fishing for.

3 Likes

If you want to question things like “ replace your helmet every 2-3 years because it degrades”, I think that is fair. But in this case, no.

Bicycle helmets are designed to absorb impacts by having the foam compress. Once it compresses, it does not return to its original state. It is forever compromised. Telling users “we’ll, it isn’t compromised that much is the very definition of negligence.

The helmet in the OP is compromised…to what degree, no one knows. It should be replaced.

If there are, I assure you helmet manufacturers would be using them.

Bike helmets are balance between protection, ventilation and weight. A motorcycle helmet is more “robust” than a bike helmet, but no one would wear one on a bike. Heck, even look at the old Bell V1 helmets….more robust, but again, no one is going to wear something like that today.

4 Likes

Would totally replace this helmet. If you come off and hit near that exact spot / put pressure on it, I’d expect that to fail easier than it’s meant to. For the sake of £50 (or maybe £100 if it’s a really fancy one) I’d get a nice new helmet. You only get one head, it’s not worth the risk.

If your new helmet doesn’t match your existing bike you should definitely get a new bike at the same time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Obviously new helmet.

1 Like

It’s Bell helmet which I kept thinking was Giro but they’re owned by same company now so no matter. But I contacted them and they sent me a code for 30% off. So I ordered a new helmet.

9 Likes