Is it ok to over train?

100watt rides are a waste of time, but in your case you just don’t ride long enough. 5-6 hours at minimum.

5-6 hours minimum for what?

a z2 ride

I just shared my subjective, n=1 opinion about the podcast that someone else mentioned and I did not think it was a good advertisement of their services. To mangle a quote from the dude, ‘thats just like my opinion, man’. I haven’t gotten worked up about this, I just found it curious.

That last statement is an assumption and you have no idea if I am currently looking for a coach or not or was considering one from that business.

No. I’m primarily interested in other factors and the discussion in the podcast raised doubts in my mind about some of those factors. They put the information out there, unsolicited.

In general, the episodes with his coaches are a bit underwhelming. But it doesn’t mean they are bad coaches, they just not good in the podcast format, marketing skills, etc.

You missed the point. She’s very busy, her roster is full, and she gets her pick of who to work with, because she gets such strong personal recommendations. The podcast wasn’t an advertisement, it was a personal story that, by the feedback, a lot of people related to, and thanked us for sharing. Not everything about the podcast is “please hire us” or the tone would be very different. We can’t coach everyone, so I want there to be positive information in there for people who never turn out to be clients. Hearing about experience with overtraining is very good information. She doesn’t need the podcast as advertising as opposed to, say, me.

And I think it should tell you something about the people I like to bring on as coaches. Excellent communication/listening ability and empathy. Unique experience and skillset, a mindset of always learning, able to say “I was wrong” or “that was my fault” and willing to fix it. And especially having a wide range of experience in both success and failure to recognize the same in clients and steer away from the worst, and being able to reset expectations, and build on successes. If you think that’s superfluous for a coach, that’s also fine, we’re not for you.

I do wish people would send me stuff from this forum that’s positive for once instead of this shit. Thanks for listening to the episode, at least. I hope you got something out of it besides the very obvious fact that I am horrible at selling or marketing anything.

9 Likes

I have all the information to hand to fly a plane - I couldn’t though.

No, I don’t think I did. I found the discussion about overtraining and under fueling interesting. I just provided my subjective, n=1 opinion about something semi-related to the core discussion that I thought was curious. Clearly other people had different, subjective, n=1 opinions about the discussion and some have expressed disagreement with my ‘opinion.’

I never said anything about that. I’m not sure where you’re getting those ideas.

I’m sorry you feel that way. IMO, this should be beneath your attention. Why are you responding to some random internet dude who made a couple of posts? I’m just some random dude on the internet. If you are getting a lot of positive feedback on the episode you should be paying attention to that, not to me.

1 Like

It’s just odd that hardly anyone except the elites that show up in my Strava feed ever do a 5+ hour ride. For most regular people, it seems that a 5-6 hour ride is thing they do a few times per year.

This a paragraph I wrote for an article ahead of an ultra endurance event I was preparing for in 2016.

“What makes us confident? How can we know where success lies? What does confidence mean? Does success breed success, and failure breed failure? Which do we learn more from, success or failure? Does confidence lead to success? Where do your doubts lead to?”

I think it’s great that your coaches talk about where they got it wrong. It’s only by exploring the full gamut of our experiences, and being honest with ourselves and sometimes others, however they went, that we grow and improve.

2 Likes

It is baffling to me that this is being criticized by “random internet dudes.”

2 Likes

Really? To paraphrase Marsellus Wallace “Nah man, I’m pretty fu%#$@g far from elite”

1 Like

I don’t have a horse in this race, but perhaps leaving out (via not quoting it) what I see as an important qualifier from the original statement, is a mistake and loses context AJS intended. That’s my 3rd person view and I could well be off base here, but food for thought at least.

For most regular people a ride of more than an hour is the exception if they ride at all. You rode 10 miles, wow you must be really fit, says it all about the regular person.

I apologize for having an opinion.

You’re entitled to it, just as I am entitled to disagree with and criticize it. Cheers! :beers:

1 Like

Yes, really. I’m in two bike clubs with a broad range of riders including cat 1s. Most people ride 5-12 hours per week and doing 2-3 hour group rides on the weekend.

A 5-6 hour ride is a fondo or a century but definitely not a regular occurrence. I do see the cat 1s bust out a 100 miler more often, but only every month or two depending on the time of year. I guess they are all doing it wrong.

Ok, I believe you. For context, I do 10 - 15 rides >= 5 hours per year, including races. + Plenty of 4h+. I can only ride outside from late April to end of October. It might be a geo location thing.

I apologize for the passive aggressiveness of my last response. It was uncalled for and I am embarrassed to have posted it.

1 Like