Is it crazy to buy a 2021 year model TT bike with rim brakes

Thanks all for the perspectives. Di2 seems like it has a more direct impact on performance for a TT bike than brake/wheel set up. Will have to look at some options there. A used bike is also a good option. I am about 6’4" and haven’t found a lot of options in my size but am not in a hurry and keeping an eye on the market.

I do like the idea of being able to swap deep section wheels over to the road bike and would need disc brakes for that to work. Just surprised to see how many companies only have rim brake frames (Trek, Giant, Bianchi) available or charge a substantial premium for a disc brake bike/frame (BMC). Cervélo is all in on discs and the S-Works Shiv TT is a pretty sweet bike but 14k is a pretty big spend :flushed:

Looking at some of the stock build options out there, I think I can buy a complete rim brake equipped bike off the shelf from one of the major manufacturers and have enough budget to add in a disc/tri spoke combo, cobbling together all of the various team discounts, etc.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this, guess I would be asking if I didn’t have some reservations. Just have 1 season of TT experience on my road bike but got some good results and excited about getting a more dialed in set up.

2 Likes

I don’t think there is any question that rim brakes are faster than disc brakes on a TT bike. It will take a long time for disc brakes to catch up with really well developed rim brake bikes like the speed concept.
I have a speed concept which I got used. I stripped off the Di2 and went back to 10 speed mechanical., primarily for simplicity and eliminating stuff that can go wrong. I simply can’t imagine a situation where I might say “I would have won that race if I had Di2”. However, I can imagine the battery conking out or the thing refusing to change gear right when I don’t need it. I am pretty sure the bike will be competitive in 10 years time, although I might not be!

Assuming you have the engine, going fast on a TT bike is mostly about getting your position right (so get a bike that fits, and get a bike fit). After that, get a TT helmet that works for you, a good speedsuit, and good tyres.

5 Likes

I’m in a similar boat.

I’ve really got into triathlon and would like to take part in local TT’s as well. Canyon have just reduced their bikes on the website and they look fantastic and are great value… But they are all RIM brake.

I wouldnt be able to swap my wheels with my roadie and i;d have to remove the spacer on my trainer every time. Future value is also a consideration.

There really doesnt seem to be many value priced TT bikes with disc brakes now though, and i cant see any info about future releases.

1 Like

Our store bought all of the last year inventory of Cervelo (P2 & P3) as they’re changing to disk only on the P series. There are some real good deals to be had with 25% discounts.

rim breaks are not going away any time soon.
If you can find a good deal, go for it!
I wouldn’t mind getting a Canyon Speedmax with rim brakes!

1 Like

Canyon speedmax with Di2 for £3,500 right now. The DT Swiss wheels and groupset alone make this such good value… So tempting!

1 Like

My point exactly…
yes… disk brakes will become the normal on TT bikes in a few years… but that doesnt mean your bike will be bad in 5 years from now…

its never the equipment… its how you use it!
most Kona finishers from 1990s had arguably worse bikes than your average age grouper now days…and the winners (probably top 5 or 6 people) were still faster than most of us will ever be…

3 Likes

Don’t buy or not buy a bike based on resale value. Buy the bike you want to ride and race for the foreseeable future. Any bike you buy today is going to be worth half or less in a few years so it really doesn’t matter whether you start with disc or rim brake.

If you are just dabbling in TT bikes then buy something used.

10 Likes

That is a real good point. I am pretty serious about racing TT but new to the discipline. Looking for something that I can ride for a while and have never been real good at selling my bike anyway, usually ride them until they are pretty done. I guess realizing that I will put less milage on my TT bike than my road bike makes me thing of it as a more long term purchase.

Every bike that is available to me on a team deal right now would come equipped with rim brakes and I am not convinced it is worthwhile to pay retail for disc brakes in my case. Primarily concerned with having a UCI frame that I can dial in a tall guy fit and then throwing some fast wheels on there come race season.

Current plan it to save up my bucks for a 2021 Speed Concept and keep an eye out for a used rear disc or race wheel combo.

If you plan is to use it for a long time, then you should absolutely have no qualms about getting a rim brake TT bike. It is faster and lighter.

And if you have the option to get a good deal on one through a team deal, then spending the extra $$ on a disc-brake bike would be silly, IMO.

get a wheel cover for the rear wheel instead of a disc, find a great deal on a front wheel (lots of options out there) and go ride the snot out of it!

5 Likes

Yes it is crazy to buy a NEW rim brake TT bike. If you were to buy a new to you bike that’s a different story. Buy a used rim brake tt bike or frame and build it up. Save a ton of money, and if you sell it later you’re not taking as big of a loss.

2 Likes

The one reason said definitely go for disk braking is if you’re going to ride in the snow. I did this several times on a road bike and on one occasionally deliberately jettisoned the bike half way down a hill because the brakes had clogged with snow and I was accelerating helplessly.

My experience of amateur triathlon and TT courses is that they’re quite easy technically. The pro courses I’ve seen on TV look evil and I’d consider improved modulation then.

Mostly though it’s snow though. Are the areas you live in and nearby hills quite snowy…

As regards buying new, the depreciation is so sudden I’d only go new if I could get a massive discount. Or I’d just get a frame and move my components. Done that before.

Unless you’re concerned with the resale value, I would go for rim brakes on a TT bike - especially if the purpose is for long-distance triathlons.
And the point about resale value is only valid if you plan to sell your bike in 1-2 years.

In fact, I’m seriously thinking of buying the rim brakes Canyon Speedmax with DI2.

Besides, braking performance on rim brakes gets more bad press than it deserves. In my experience, bad braking is due to bad wheels, bad brakes, bad braking pads, bad setup, or a combination of these. Disc brakes are no different in this and they do bring their own sets of problems (rubbing is one of them) and you still need to be careful in the rain.

One thing to think about is if you ever need swapping wheels between bikes.

2 Likes

I hate disc brakes and would I have a choice I would never take disc again. Yes, the braking in more extreme situations might be better, but the constant care, the noise, the refitting when changing wheels, the constant need to take care is annoying,

6 Likes

Just my 2p. I had the choice (discs or calipers) with a road bike a few years back. I went with the caliper frame as a) I know where I am with rim brakes and can’t stand the noise of squeaky discs and b) I had a nice set of wheels which I could have afforded to replace but didn’t want to. Less importantly, I am a relatively lightweight climber build so the extra weight of discs was a consideration too.
If I ever replace my TT bike frame as its caliper at the moment the new frame will be too. Mainly as it’s less economical to replace my TT wheelset. Who needs brakes in a TT anyway :wink:

6 Likes

Brakes - in most of the UK TT I ride I don’t use them…roll up to the roundabout and round you go… :laughing: Seriously though I have rim brakes on all my bikes - even my summer road bike (Ridley Helium) as they are lighter - sure braking performance may be better but that’s academic in most TT - that said resale could be an issue if you only intend to ride it for a couple of years.

4 Likes

Can you give me more details about your he’d jet blacks? 60/60, 60/90? What size tires are you using? Did you consider anything else or try anything else?

Do you need special brake pads for them?
Do you use them 100% of the time or just for race day?
Would you buy them again?
And…do you feel they are light or heavy?

I love my premier tactical bike as well as my shiv but I wouldn’t mind having a tt bike that could actually stop someday.

Here’s how it breaks down:

If you’re buying for the NEXT guy to use, then by all means get disc since it’ll resell for more.

If you’re buying it for yourself get rim. Unless your TTs involve a ton of downhill or 180s in heavy rain, you shouldn’t even be touching the brakes.

1 Like

It’s a TT bike. How many times are you going to hit the breaks? Those rims will last forever.

1 Like